Whisker pole for H 38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
Does anyone know what length/size whisker pole is needed for a Hunter 38 with a 110% jib?

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
My Set Up

I have a H376 and you will need to check if the foretriangles are the same. My jib is 107% and so may yours be. My boat measures:- I = 48', J = 12' 11", LPG of Jib = 13' 7".

Not seeing the need to constantly adjust the height of the inboard end of the pole I fitted a fixed ring to the mast at 4' 2" above the top of the coachroof (5' 3" above deck).
Wishing to be able to gybe by simply dipping the pole under the jib and out on the new windward side without having to unclip it from the mast the maximum length I could have made the pole was 11' 1".
In fact I made it 10' 6" long for a simpler life.
I took the spin pole ends from an old, much longer, spinnaker pole which was built from 3" OD aluminium tube and tapered down to 2.2" ID at the ends.

Then I found a length of white PLASTIC (plumbing pipe I think) and riveted the spin pole ends into this. It made a fine, light and easily handled jib stick. I even put little cord loop hangers on the underside of the middle lifeline at the bow where it now hangs.
However one must admit it is a little fragile and I have seen it bending more than a trifle on windy days and, to its credit, it has taken all my punishment - but for how much longer I couldn't say.
If you make a jib stick I would recommend you use alum tube or wood depending on your fittings.
Good luck.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
You must have a h380, J=12.9, the 12-22ft pole is still appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.