Whingeing about winches (keel)

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
So busted the clamp for the keel wire. The winch is/was dodgey but cleaned up well. I could drill out old Post and replace it, or buy a new brake winch. CD sells the Fulton replacement (kinda spendy) or go with a replacement from northtool 1/3 the price. 1 have any of you made the switch. 2 how much of a PITA is it going to be remounting with new holes. 3. If you did go with something other than the OEM do you have pics of the mount.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I think it would probably require filling the existing holes with epoxy, and re-drilling more holes along side. If it had any effect at all, I'd assume the effect would be weakening the companionway step. The cheaper one would probably work as they usually do, but it would be a major disaster to have a keel runaway on the winch for whatever reason. The Fulton winch would probably last at least 20 years, so if you plan to keep the boat - the difference in cost likely works out to a small amount spread over any number of years. I'm sure you could make it work though - as long as the cheaper winch is safe in reverse when releasing the cable. If it takes you an hour and a half to re-mount the cheaper winch, and a half hour for the matching Fulton - you also have an added hour of labor expense, at whatever rate you receive - also cutting into the deal.

Last edited:

Rillo

Apr 21, 2019
Catalina C22 Bear Lake
Grotto, the clamp on mine is simply a plate bolted to the flange of the winch spool. If you need a new clamp plate you can pick one up for under $10. You can see the clamp plate at CDirect.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Grotto, the clamp on mine is simply a plate bolted to the flange of the winch spool. If you need a new clamp plate you can pick one up for under $10. You can see the clamp plate at CDirect.
The screw post sheared off when I was tightening

Rillo

Apr 21, 2019
Catalina C22 Bear Lake
You are talking about the 2 screws that fasten the clamp plate, right?

upload_2019-8-9_18-51-15.jpeg

Rillo

Apr 21, 2019
Catalina C22 Bear Lake
Perhaps they appeared to be welded posts? They are actually loose mini-carriage bolts. Mine were rusted up pretty good, but they should pop right out.

upload_2019-8-10_9-14-52.jpeg

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Dude....... Thanks lol I assume this is from Catalina direct? YES they looked like welded so I assumed major pain.