Shopping

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I apologize everyone the dinghy we are going with is the Highflield 310 Classic. It is 10.2. ft. In my original post I stated Highfield 380 and that was a mistake. Far to big for our 38.
That's better! Still pretty heavy, at 10'2" and 132 lb. To each his own, but I'm optimizing or 4 adults and light weight. I can't plane my AB 9VL with four adults with my 15HP 2-stroke Merc, but I can with two. But it's very comfortable in all uses. It weighs 106 lb., and my Merc 15Hp two-stroke is 73. 40lb of a full gas can, and we're all set. :)

BTW, I see the Highfield is available in PVC or Hypalon. Get the Hypalon!!!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
My dinghy is a RU240 (Roll up 240cm) and runs with a Suzuki 2.2. It is 4-stroke and light weight. My opine (very limited experience mind you) would be a light weight 4-stroke in the highest HP you can find. Sorry can't give specifics because I have no experience except with my Yamaha 9.9 4-stroke as my main outboard, but that is VERY heavy.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Our dinghy that we are purchasing is the Highflield 310 Classic. We are now trying to figure out which engine to go with. Most of our side by sides and 4 wheelers back home are Yamahas.

But we plan going to the Bahamas and other remote locations. We want an engine that can be worked on anywhere and parts readily available.

I was told that if we went with the 2019 - 9.9 Tahatsu engine that you can get parts almost anywhere and worked on the same. I was also told that you can convert the engine into a 20hp by removing the air intake and changing it. Correct me if the fellow at the dealership was wrong. So more speed if needed and the weight is down on the engine side.

Is there an engine you prefer and like best? Please chime in if you have had a Tohatsu your likes and dislikes. Or other engines you have used.
If I were in the market now for an outboard to replace my 15 Yamaha 2 stroke for my 9 ft RHIB I would be forced to go low hp, low speed as I would be limited to 4 stroke motors. And they are HEAVY. I sailed for 25 years with an 8 ft hard dinghy and 2.5 hp 2 stroke. Took us wherever we wanted to go. When we moved up to Maxine we upgraded our dinghy to the RHIB with the Yamaha. Times have changed and 2 stroke is now banned so one either goes heavy, or slow. I would opt for slow and light.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I sold my 3.5 hp tohatsu outboard with my sailboat and replaced it with a "slow and light" Torqeedo 503 with a 915 wh extended range battery for my new boat.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Clarification...2 stroke motors are NOT banned. The manufacturers have to meet pollution standards to sell in the USA. Evinrude makes a full line of E-Tek 2 stroke outboards that are cleaner burning than any 4 stroke. Unfortunately, they don't make them in low HP.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Clarification...2 stroke motors are NOT banned. The manufacturers have to meet pollution standards to sell in the USA. Evinrude makes a full line of E-Tek 2 stroke outboards that are cleaner burning than any 4 stroke. Unfortunately, they don't make them in low HP.
Thank you Gettinthere for making that clarification. I was under a mistaken impression that 2 stroke technology was no longer "allowed". I Googled it and now I get it.
Thanks again

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
They do, they have a 15HP E-Tec, but it's a kicker, so it's really heavy, at 181 lb. I'm hoping they eventually produce a 15 for the RIB market.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I have a Yamaha 15 electric start at 104 lbs. that and the RIB still well within davit rating.
I can plane with 3 people in the boat.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
If I had to have something right now for best price and least weight I'd get another Tohatsu 6hp like I had for a similar weight flat bottom jon boat for us. I got mine from Online Outboards, 15" shaft, internal tank, but can connect a tank if you need one down the road, free shipping, 58 lbs, easy pull start every time. Just run ethanol free fuel, it would run for a couple of hours on the internal tank on the creeks for fishing shallow water. That said in my 5+ year plan when we need a dingy I plan to go electric and up my solar charging game to have only 1 fuel on board and propane for cooking.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'm trying to understand your post to this thread? Help me out here it's late and I'm exhausted. :)
"Either that or the 115 is on a Bennington pontoon. I can't remember which."

Jun 8, 2004
Kirie-Elite Elite 37 Niceville, FL
I second waiting till you get to Nassau and purchase the Yamaha 15 hp two stroke. We did the same last year. Be sure to take your cruising permit in and save the 15% VAT. This engine has the best power to weight ratio and can't be beat. We got the same dockside service

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
If you decide to do 4 stroke (and they sure are quieter and better for the environment) - for that dinghy I’d also consider a Honda 20. At 110 pounds it’s the same weight as the 15 and substantially lighter than the 126lb Yamaha 20. I’ve had mine for almost 10 years and it’s been as reliable as the Yamaha I had before. Several dealers in the Bahamas. The only repair it’s needed was for a carburator fouled by US ethanol gas. It was cheaper to buy a new carb for $150 from IBoats.com and put it on myself than pay the US outboard shop $200 to take the old carb apart and clean it in an ultrasonic tank.

Whichever brand you get, I’d buy a set of parts in the US. Carburetor, water pump, fuel pump, spark plugs cover 90% of the issues. Parts in the Bahamas are available but expensive because of duty and low volume/little competition.

As suggested, experiment with the prop. These cost only about $50 online and can make a world of difference getting a heavily loaded dinghy on plane. I replaced the standard 10” pitch four blade prop on the Honda 20 with an 8” pitch. Kept the original as a spare in case I hit something.