Shopping

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Tohatsu and Mercury are the same. No you cannot get 20HP out of the 9.9. Tohatsu engines are as good as any in their class. Check the availability of the proper propeller size for your boat; The standard, serve all, stock propeller is seldom the best especially for inflatables.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Yamaha has always been and still is the best outboard for a cruising dink, IMO. I have never felt that Merc made very good saltwater OB's, but I have no experience with these newer Tohatsus. A few cruisers I know have had mixed experiences with non-Yahama brands, from OK to the seller not honoring the warranty on serious defects on new motors.
The ONLY problem with Yamaha OB's is that because they are so reliable and common, they are often the target of thieves. There are excellent repair people everywhere for Yamaha, and parts are easily sourced, as well.
Often a 9.9 and a 15 are the same basic engine, with different carburation, but no way you are going to get 20 hp out of a 9.9!
We've had amazing luck with our 2007 Johnson 15, 4 stroke, expecting a year or two before failure, but it has always still is running like a top. One of the greatest things is that it is not the target of thieves, especially now @ 12 years old. But, as it is no longer manufactured and the new ones (Evinrude, Johnson has gone) are electronic, which is just asking for a dud engine, especially if one ventures beyond the horizon.
When the time comes to replace the Johnson, it will be a Yamaha 4 stroke, without hesitation. Our dink is our car, and is every bit as important to us as a car would be to someone who lives out in the country, far from public transportation, so it must be the most reliable and easily maintained.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
If I was leaving the country, I'd buy a 2-stroke outboard while I was there. I'm not sure, but I've heard they are still available outside the U.S.

The biggest advantage is weight. A 15HP 2-stroke Merc is 73 lb. That's 38 lb. less than a 15Hp 4-stroke Yamaha.

I've had great success with a 15HP Mercury 2-stroke that's still going strong after 21 years. I actually have two, one as a backup, because they are no longer made. I've experienced issues, as one would expect with this amount of time in service. But, they are easily serviceable, and parts are readily available.

I realize I'm probably a bit eccentric in this regard. I've used these enough, and they are old enough, for me to see issues that would cause folks to junk a small outboard. The biggest problem, the Achilles' heel of any outboard, is the lower unit. The seals will eventually fail, and you'll get water into it. It is not cost effective to have one serviced, no one will do it; and it's not cost effective to buy a new one, as they go for 1/2 the price of a new motor. I have the tools to rebuild them (special tools are required). But, you should get at least 10 years before lower service is required, other than changing the fluid.

Otherwise, a 2-stroke is far simpler than a 4-stroke, few parts, no oil sump, etc. A rebuilt carb makes it like new.

Good luck.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I have a 1999 Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke and love it. I also have a 2015 Yamaha 115 4-stroke and love it.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Weight is a key consideration for a dinghy, imho. Lighter is better. Look for good power to weight ratio.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I have a Quicksilver RIB (10.5 foot) with a 5hp Tohatsu. I bought the motor used and it has run almost flawlessly on non ethanol gas. My only regret is not getting a bigger motor. A big motor will get you up on plane and cover more ground quicker.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have an 8 hp Yamaha 4 stroke. Great engine, quiet, always starts, fairly easy to maintain.
Being a 4 cycle, no concerns about mixing oil and gas. I also wanted a 2 cylinder engine as a matter of personal preference. The down side is the 80 pound weight.

My experience with Mercurys dates back to a time when they made the upright 6 cylinder outboards which never wanted to start. That problem was probably out of the picture many years ago, and may not have been true of the smaller engines, but that always sat in the back of my mind

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I have a Quicksilver RIB (10.5 foot) with a 5hp Tohatsu. I bought the motor used and it has run almost flawlessly on non ethanol gas. My only regret is not getting a bigger motor. A big motor will get you up on plane and cover more ground quicker.
Get another 5HP Tohatsu and mount both! Or maybe two more, like on a center console. That would look so cool.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
BTW, the Highfield 380 - that thing is huge, 12.5' long! I think it's to big as a tender for a 38' boat, and too big for most dinghy docks, at least around here.

It's 181 lb., and the recommended HP is 20. The Yamaha 20HP is 126 lb. That would be 307 lb., not counting the approximate 40 lb. for gas can and gas.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Bahamas...can you wait till you get there? I bought my Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke there. There is one dealer in all the Bahamas with offices in Marsh Harbor, Nassau and George Town. You will probably have to order ahead of time and put down a CC deposit, they are often back ordered. I was VERY nervous doing that but the whole experience with the dealer in Nassau was EXCELLENT. They came to the dock and picked me up and then delivered the engine to my boat...right onto the dinghy. Great people all round.

I agree that the one you have picked is way too big. The largest common dink is about 10' and only the BIG boats carry bigger. I see a lot of highfields around and so far no complaints heard. The aluminum ABs get a lot of complaints. Those consoles eat a lot of room which is much needed for everything. Even the floor should be considered for it's extra weight. Stepping into the bow with the V hull is tough so I added a short flat floor just to the bow area, works great.

How are you crossing the gulf stream? Davits or on deck would be preferred and that 380 is way too big for that. Measure your foredeck to see how much length you can handle. I use my davits all the time but it's good to know I can put my dink on the foredeck if necessary, like during a big storm.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
agree that the one you have picked is way too big.
Me too! That’s a nice size for a superyacht. Or a dinghy that’s left on a dock full time (paint the bottom). Not one to bring aboard a <40 ft boat nor for towing long distance.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Strangely enough, just yesterday I was looking at a new outboard for either my 21 or my new dinghy. I was at the Yamaha dealer, cause after my experiences with that brand, I don't bother with any other brand.

My 25 footer has been powered by an 8 hp Yamaha for some 10 years now- many many miles of flawless performance.. I have a 4 hp on my 21 footer. I bought that new ( the motor) sold the boat, bought it back but without the motor. So was checking on another 4 HP. Looked at a 2.5 also, since I recently bought a new (still in box) Achilles dink. I'm torn between the two. The 2.5 would work well on the 21 foot sailboat, but would also power the dink nicely. $400 difference ;)

In my travels- the entire ICW southern tip of Texas to Annapolis Md twice, and all through the Bahama, plus crewing on a trip to Mexico. I saw Yamaha's on the back of boats 4-1 over any other brand. A plus is they build their own engines, unlike many others who are rebranded.

Now I have to decide :)

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Just read your other post. With the loads you are talking, a 10' with 15hp 2 stroke should be enough. A hard bottom will help plane off as will a fin on the motor skeg. You definitely want to plane because in the Bahamas you want the ability to run several miles at least. I find mixing oil to be no big deal and the new Yammy 15 is much quieter than the older 2 strokes and much cleaner. I'd bet they run about as clean as a 4 stroke but Yamaha just hasnt bothered to certify.
As for visibility behind with davits; my davits are the height of the stern rail and I can see over that with no problem. Some davits are set higher on an arch and those do restrict visibility. I raid the dink just high enough to get it out of the water when at anchor. Keeps the growth off and makes it harder to steal...along with a strong cable. I can run with engine on the dink but if offshore I put the engine on the rail.

And make sure you get an extra turn on the davit blocks. I think standard is 6:1 but 8:1 is much better (I may have the numbers wrong but you get the idea) Garhauer will make em any way you like em.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
No one has mentioned Hondas. I have always heard good things about them. Honda certainly has a lot of experience with small 4 cycle motors.

I've had 2 rebranded Tohatsus, a 5hp Nissan 2 stroke and a 4 HP Merc 4 stroke. I'm not sure I'll buy another one. Both of them were hard starting and sometimes finicky. Next one will be a Honda or Yamaha.

As others have pointed out, the Highfield 380 is a large heavy dinghy for a 38 foot boat. When I was shopping for a dinghy I bought one that would serve us well for our typical use, which is 2 adults. We ended up with an Achilles hypalon rib that is about 8 feet long and weighs about 80 lbs. It is not as quick as I would like, however it is light enough for me to move around the yard and put into the back of the truck. On the rare occasions when we needed to move more than 3 people, I just made extra trips.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I would never own another 2 stroke. The 4 may be heavier, but that is not such a big thing if one doesn't need to remove the motor when putting the dink on deck, davits, or has a motor davit.
The 4 stroke is so quiet that we can converse in the dink, even at speed. It sips fuel so economically that we often forget that it takes fuel at all, and nearly run out. And no more mixing gas and oil, a really bothersome thing IMO.
The difference is quite amazing, but until one has used a 4 stroke for a while, the differences aren't all that apparent.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Well I'm certainly an outlier on this subject. I think oars are the best, most reliable option. Of course you need a rowing dink, an inflatable is not one.

Yamaha outboards have always done me well. Had a Mercury at one time that also did very well. Currently have a Suzuki that is the lightest available small 4 stroke - weights under 40 pounds. Nice motor but I'm selling it with my trimaran - if I can ever get my a$$ in gear to actually sell it...

But I have gone to rowing/sailing and gotten rid of outboards. I admit I do like to row....

dj