Which MacGregor Forum Most Active?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
Hey guys, was just curious which forum is most active for MacGregor Owners between this one and this one: http://www.macgregorsailors.com/index.php

Or is there another I'm missing that is most active? It seems like there are many many MacGregor Owners out there, but not much activity here.
Thanks

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
it depends on what you own. IMHO.

I think this board is most active for the classic (older) boats.

the newer models seem to go to your link. it does have a nice mods section.
the moderators are not to my taste...but it is what it is...

this one has a little of both...
http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/macgregor/index.cgi

all of them seem to slow down in the winter.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
...I think this board is most active for the classic (older) boats.....
I agree about this being the most active for the classics. I've learned a lot on all three of them and post on all of them. I've also meet some great people on each of them.

Besides the Mac boards I also frequent a couple others on here for general knowledge ....

http://forums.macgregor.sailboatowners.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

for trips....

http://forums.macgregor.sailboatowners.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

and for other trailer sailor info...

http://forums.macgregor.sailboatowners.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

I also occasionally check in on a couple of the cruiser forums not associated with this site, but most of the people on those are serious cruisers or full time cruisers so some of the posts are about places Ruth and I will never visit,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our Endeavour 37[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our MacGregor S Pages[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Mac-Venture Links[/FONT]

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
Thank you Mr. Bill and Sum for your answers :)

I guess I've come here to the right place by fortunate accident.

Sum, I've read every bit of your sites, very well done and interesting. You've done amazing things with your boats and trucks and teardrop trailer. You're a talented guy.
I do get a chuckle when I read things like, "we didn't have much money left but just enough for an Endeavor 37."

My friend, you have a nice house you built, amazing custom trucks, very cool teardrop trailer, two great boats, and probably many other toys that you haven't mentioned. In total, all these things cost a lot so I think your doing much better than me in the money department.

Nice job with the sites and keep up the good work. Please don't get so into the Endeavor that you leave us behind on the Mac forums, as this site needs you.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
....My friend, you have a nice house you built, amazing custom trucks, very cool teardrop trailer, two great boats, and probably many other toys that you haven't mentioned. In total, all these things cost a lot so I think your doing much better than me in the money department.....
Thanks for the compliments, but to set the record straight I'll be 68 in a couple weeks and didn't have the above that far back I only have the one truck and built it over 12 years at a total cost of about $12,000. I have a '83 Jeep that I've had since '90, the Suburban we paid $3500 for and a '99 Buick that I inherited from my mom. Only had one new car in my life, a bug back in '68. Built 3 houses, the last being the most expensive at $70,000. I haven't really made that much or Soc. Sec. would be sending me a bigger check. I've put money that I did have over the years into my tools and don't hire anything done. I guess I've just been careful what I've spent my money on over the years for the most part.

Anyway Ruth and I are very happy and try and enjoy what we can now while we can and I believe that we aren't much more than average for someone our ages when it comes to any wealth and we are keeping the Mac and the Endeavour will probably go in a few years when we can't handle her anymore, so I hope to be around :),

Sum

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
If you like seeing posts go missing, moved to places where you cannot find them, the place to be is MacSailors. There moderation would be described as enthusiastic, to say the least. Some good people at all the forums, but pushy moderators can spoil the fun of a place.

Bill is being too kind about MS, they treated him like he was dirt. I was ashamed of the way he was treated over there. His treatment made me look elsewhere for a place to hang out. Been back very seldom, do not miss the place at all.

If you do not have a power-sailor, they pretty much do not want your company. They have smiles made up for the X, M, and 19, to use in posts. I offered to make smiles for the other Macs, and was told to not bother, they did not want them. If I made em, they would not guarantee they would ever install em.

Older Macs are not much welcomed at that site IMHO.

This is the better of the two sites by a long stretch. In all my ten thousands of posts at forum pages, I have never seen a ruder moderator than that site has. If Bill would disagree with that, I will eat a hundred dollar bill. lol The ADMIN, no one has seen him in years. Years! I have a theory where he is, but they do not allow computers.

Your question: Which MacGregor Forum Most Active? Their moderation is the most active! lol

You are in the right place for good people, straight answers, transparent management, modern forum features. If you post something here, it is still here months later.

May 4, 2005
^ I LOL-ed... ;)

frankly, this website convinced me to buy a macgregor in the 1st place, since the owner support was so strong, (back in 03). and the amount and variety of modifications was so vast.

I think of mac's like the old VW beetle. a nice start out of the box, but so much more can be done by creative owners.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Gary you are entitled to your views, but when it comes to your view of the other board I sure take exception to them.

I didn't like that they had moved Bill's post over there to another sub-forum on the site that isn't used by that many members, but I'll also give any of these boards a by on something like that for all of the positive that they do for all of us.

Sure the other board has lots more X and M guys than this or the third board, but I've never felt 'not wanted' there. And I hope the X and M guys don't feel the same here. It is just that here since most of us have classics it is hard to answer questions that pertain more to an X or M and likewise for those guys over there.

That board has more active moderators. A job I had on a car related board and will never take again. With that job you are never going to please everyone all of the time.

I'm glad that the other board is there along with this one and the third. I have a fairly large site myself, but would never consider having a forum. It is way more work than any of us know and the great thing is that no one is forcing us to use any of these forums. Like I said earlier, Ruth and I have new friends since all three Mac boards do exist and that is great for us,

Sum

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
They did not just move a post of Bills, they turned it into a power struggle where the poster was in the right and they would not back down. His post was very much boat related and they canned his posts in a place no one would see it. Then the mods attacked the poster in a shameful way that was uncalled for. I contacted Bill several times apologizing for the treatment he received.

As I was writing my post, you (sum) were heavy on my mind as I know you post both places and they treat you with high regard at the other site.

The way anyone is treated would seem everyone would be treated. They treat you nice so it would fall into place they are good people. Not so fast. While I can respect them for being nice you and the mods you have done to your 26D, I know how I have been treated by mods and I saw how they treated Bill.

I wager to bet I have as many posts deleted, moved, altered or in some way messed with than I do posts as published at that site. Example, my thread titled ""why boats are better than motorcycles"". To find any part of that thread better look in google archives. It is nowhere to be found on macsailors. Why remove a post so many people contributed to? Answer illudes me.

If you want to support a place with a cliquish mod and a good ole boy set of rules imposed sometimes and not other times be my guest.

When a skip a stone on a lake I expect it to disappear. When I contribute to a forum I would hope it stays around for a bit.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2007
-mac 26M -26M tucson-san carlos mx
i read and post on both forums also. the OTHER forums has deleted and sent me emails threatning hanging and execusion,but it boils down to its their forum and their rules,if you are offended leave.personally i love a good banter and argument over ideas and consider it great fun.from reading gmayo's post i can tell he's is very narrow minded and of a fragile spirit, if anybody disagree's with his point of veiw he gets very offended and goes whinning on the oppisite board looking for sympahty.I find both these boards contain valuable information for beginners and experienced and serve a great function to the sailing-boating community regaurdless if anybody agree's with anything i have to say,thats my personal problem not the other participants, arguement and disagreement are just as valuable if not more then everyone agreeing with everyone else... sorry to go on a rant but I've read one to many of gary's off the wall posts and am starting to freak myself out.

May 4, 2005
Ok.... I guess I should spill the dirt....

A friend from my sailing club wanted to buy an X, and he was impulsive. he gave a credit card number to a dealer in lake lanier, (GA), as a deposit on a boat he saw on the internet....

he was planning on leaving friday (in his mini van) to go get it, and I posted a urgent request to get some info on the dealer....

The thread was moved to the 'pub' that is an off topic area, that is only viewable when you specifically subscribe.

When I saw it was deleted (moved) I ran a search on my posts, and got zero hits on my thread title... (weird!)

So I posted again, saying what happened to my thread. -that's were the fireworks started....

I figured the dealer was a sponsor, and they were 'sanitizing' the tread, (thinking someone said they were a bad dealer) -which turned out not to be the case... IIRC, Jimmy (?) said they are good people and if they say the boat is clean it probably is...

that's pretty much it.

they moved a thread to an area that is not searchable unless you specifically subscribe.

I pm'ed several moderators on why that was done, and never got a straight answer, other than the TOS... -we can do what we want, when we want...

I got some info on the X, and my friend ended up buying one locally, and he is storing it in a rack/stack mast down.... and is happy with it.

(he is a world class snipe sailor, but wanted something for his wife and friends to use).

so that's pretty much the dirt...

I also posted some jokes in a thread in the 'pub' that were kinda racy, that got deleted. they didn't appreciate some of the jokes, and I said its a PUB... isn't that for adult content... but they said it was not appropriate... actually, they just replied with the T.O.S. we can do what we want when we want...
(tos = terms of service).

none of that bothered me, I was, and am, only concerned that my friend didn't get taken...

So that's the dirt.....

Sometimes I'm a bit of

Attachments

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
It is that forums loss, that they chased you (good people) off.

What is the measure of a good forum?

People might be a good logical answer, but before you can put people in a vessel like a building or a sailboat, a good foundation needs to be laid down.

This forum has an all but perfect set of foundations set up to support people wanting a sailboat forum. It works great on personal computers as well as with apps on iPhones and iPads. This post is done using my iPad and their free app from apple. This support is not something you find at any other Mac site that I know of.

A forum with confusing rules about what can be posted, or changing rules about what can be posted puts off members.

As an example, a forum which I will not mention by name (lol) has a member trying to remove a personal ad for the sale of his 99X. It has sold. Repeated efforts requesting that the ad be dropped have failed because the mods say only the admin can do that function, and he is far too busy to be bothered with forum business with things like jobs and family. That is going on as I type this, it is pretty sad. The guy wants the phone to stop ringing about a sailboat for sale, and no can do, they are too busy. The only guy that can cancel the ad we are told has not posted on his forum in years because he is too busy? Too busy to help members with a problem their site is causing? Brother. Lol. Of course, most members there have no idea of the issue, because the thread was placed in the dead, no one has the keys to the place, called the pub, the off topic forum. What is off topic about a guy needing help stoping an ad? That is web site business, but that forum has no place for web site business, repeated requests for help through PMs goes unanswered. When he uses their forum to ask for help, the thread is mouth balled to the pub, where no one sees it. The mods can't even leave the guys request to be left alone in the sailboat threads where people may see his request to not call and bother him, they moved it to a locked down thread no one sees. Why? Why would they do that?

I read there only now. Never log in anymore. It does have some good information there because of good people. Tonight I learned about a ozone generator I had not heard of before, and I will call the company tomorrow to order one. Small size, powerful, robust, perfect for sailboats. Ozone kills and eliminates mold. Zaps it dead and gone. I intend to live aboard my boats at times, and I want a fresh smelling boat to enjoy. Put it on a timer and run it two minutes as you fuss top side. Open the cabin up to fresh air. Perfect. I have used ozone generators for years, they are a great tool to clean things.

My suggestion is, you found the best forum on Macs to post in, right here, and the best forum on true Mac sailboats with kicker engines rather than power sailors, by leaps and bounds.

Get out your smart phone, download the free app, and enjoy all this site has to offer, which is a great deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.