Where's the water coming from

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2012
Bavaria 34 Kent Island, Maryland
I recently purchased a 2001 34' Bavaria. When I arrive at the boat on Friday nite, I check the bilge and it is dry. After (2) days of sailing, I have 6-8 gallons of water in the bilge. I thought maybe a vent line was bleeding water into the boat, when heeled. However, I can't find any lines. The water is definately NOT coming from the fresh water system/tanks.

Any ideas?

Jun 7, 2007
Hunter 320 Williamsburg
Maddening

You say it's not from the freshwater tank. Presumably you tasted it. Therefore it may not be rain, either.

So it must be seawater. Check the stuffing box at the shaft as the likely culprit.

May 21, 2012
Thanks for the reply. Actually, I put Bleach in my tanks to clean them...so you can really smell the chlorine in the fresh water tanks. The boat has a sail drive so there is no stuffing box. I did check around the engine and that compartment is dry. It's a tough one. I also find it curious there is no electric bilge pump...just the emergency manual handle pump?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Going Way Out on a Limb .....................

................ you may want to check the relief valve on your water heater, if your potable water system is in service. I notice you are presently in the process of cleaning the tanks.

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
If salt water might it be from any thru hull like for the sinks or head? It is proposed that you can find hard to detect leaks by dusting the area in suspicion with talc powder or probably baby powder. The incomming water will clean the powder off where it comes in contact with it leaving clean streaks. good luck, also I would install an electic bilge pump with auto switch for peace of mind.

Oct 1, 2008
Bavaria 36 Cruiser Nanaimo, BC
Phyxius,
I own a Bav 36, so similar but not identical. I developed a water leak last year from an above water (normaly) fitting at the stern. It is a round stainless fitting near the boarding ladder. To solve it, I just covered the fitting with sealant. I also had a slight leak from a hot water line as well, but found both.
Good luck. Sometimes just crawling around or looking in the area of the water will allow you to see the leak.
Tom

Oct 1, 2008
Bavaria 36 Cruiser Nanaimo, BC
Sorry, forgot to mention that the above water fitting goes partly under when motoring as the boat "squats" a bit under power.
Tom

May 21, 2012
Thanks for the replys. I also have the stern fitting that submerges when squatted. I thought it was the drain from the Propane tank compartment but will check that out. I also found the sea water vent line, between the impeller and the engine, which was constantly bleeding water (~ 2.5 gal/hr). It was definately feeding the bildge. I also found the electric bilge pump. It wasn't where indicated on the drawings. I was under the bottom drawer of the center table. Now I just need to put a meter on it to ensure it works. Again, thanks

Jun 19, 2010
2003 Bavaria 44 Chesapeake Bay
Check any a/c condensation collection sumps. I have two on my boat. this may be hard to follow - but the line running out to a through hull was getting seawater back through it when underway putting lots of seawater in the bilge. Now i just close the thru hull when underway and my bilge is bone dry (probably the greatest victory in boating).

I hunted gremlins for years looking for this water source. I had through hull fittings replaced, baby powdered the inside of the hull, etc etc etc. One day i dried out the bilge (no small task) and closed every thru hull. when out sailing and came back and bilge was dry. I left the boat docked for two weeks - bilge was dry. Then i started opening one at a time and testing....voila....

FYI - work hard on solving this. you really want to keep that bilge dry for preventing mold

Jun 19, 2010
2003 Bavaria 44 Chesapeake Bay
how can you be sure its not fresh water? are you getting water when the boat is sitting at dock?

May 4, 2010
Bavaria 37 Hayes, VA
I had a similiar problem on my 2000 Bavaria 37. It was fresh water coming from the stern water tank. Specifically at the water gauge (transducer). The "plastic" nut had failed so that the gauge was not tight against the tank. Hopefully, you have solved your problem by now, if not check your water tank gauge as well as the tanks inspection screw top. Sometimes the tops gasket does not seat properly causing a leak also.

May 21, 2012
Yes, I did solve the problem..thank you. The water was coming in from a leaking vent/vacuum valve on the raw water intake line. There is a "u" fitting, in the water line, before it goes to the pump. At the top of the "u" is a little brass fitting, which has a neoprene like material as a vac vent. It was constantly leaking. Again, Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.