What's under H34 Starboard Cockpit Locker Shelf?

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
Got stuck head down in the starboard locker reaching for a battery yesterday on my new to me Hunter 34. Managed to escape after a few minutes wriggling and pushing from below, but working on the batteries was hopeless. Not only the shelf keep me out of the locker (I'm not that fat really, just broad), but the fuel tank is in there too so if I got in I couldn't stand or sit.
So I saw something in the mod section about cutting away the shelf, but there was still a shelf in the picture. What's under that? The fridge? How much can I cut back or down? Anyone know?
Thanks.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The shelf they talk about cutting out is the little fiberglass shelf immediately beneath the seat. It gives a little more wiggle room to get into "the pit". (Top left in the left picture.) The fridge top is the big shelf inside that limits room.. The two boxes on top are the dish cabinet and the cup holder.. One of the best modifications that I've gotten is the remote watering system from FlowRite.. once the system is installed, it takes only a minute to water the batteries and no going into the pit. Some folks move the batteries to underneath the port side settee .. Some folks have cut an access door in the bulkhead under the cockpit floor.
Attached shows the inside of the locker and the cabin dish holders.
. P7280988.JPG P7280989.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Yes. The dungeon. I recommend cutting a hatch through the plywood that separates the aft berth and the dungeon. This will give you access without diving in. Also, I moved my batteries to the storage space under the port settee in the main cabin to distribute the weight better.

Dec 8, 2013
Hunter / Aragosa 34 / 32 831 Toronto
you'll get no more access by cutting out that shelf, as the pictures from the previous post show. At 170lbs on 5'8" frame I find that I can squeeze in, feet first, no belt or attachments to catch. THat puts me squatting with one butt-cheek hovering over the outboard battery box.
OH, and taking yoga helps ;-)

I've been upside down in that locker and unable to get back out; lots of shouting and a lot of luck, a passerby got me out.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
I am happy to cut through from the port quarterberth, as I was going to do that anyway for access to the shaftseal and wheel control lines, but do I understand that if I do that I can squeeze over the shaft and reach the batteries on starboard side? Doesn't sound much more practical than locker diving. Guy who designed this should be shot.

Mark48

Mar 1, 2008
Hunter 34 Milwaukee
Cut through the side panel, you can then crawl back through and reach the scuppers and exhaust tubes if need be. I carry or place my cell inside the locker before entering just in case I get stuck or the hatch closes and locks by accident.

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
I am happy to cut through from the port quarterberth, as I was going to do that anyway for access to the shaftseal and wheel control lines,
That won't give you access the shaft or wheel control lines.
Access for the shaft in under the quarter berth bed and if you lay on your back you'll see a cover that's screwed to the ceiling and inside of that is the control lines for the wheel.
By cutting though the bulk head you'll find the batteries and fuel tank.

Attachments

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Now that's encouraging.
That happened to a friend of mine. No cell though. It took a while before someone got him out. He now ties the lid open

Matt

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
That won't give you access the shaft or wheel control lines.
Access for the shaft in under the quarter berth bed and if you lay on your back you'll see a cover that's screwed to the ceiling and inside of that is the control lines for the wheel.
By cutting though the bulk head you'll find the batteries and fuel tank.
Thank you very much. Once again, pictures really help. I really didn't understand the geography down there.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Hello,
The little fiberglass tray under the seat I use as a tool staging area when I am working in the "pit". I use the galley countertop extension, which is also the top of the icebox, as a step when climbing into the space. I took out the wine glass storage and cut the wood front to allow a small microwave to sit behind the ice box opening. I step back on to the hull outboard of the fuel tank and rest there when working the batteries, fuel tank, fuel fill hose, solar charge controller, etc.

Nov 30, 2008
Hunter Legend 375 Sidney BC
It is a tight squeeze for most of us older rounder gentlemen sailors, and yes I think Hunter could have done a better job of this access design also. I too have spent many hours down there changing out batteries, fuel hoses or installing fuel gauges. I too have taken my cell phone with me when I have been alone at the boat. As for quick access it is the only way, I think all the other ways looked at here are great but very labor intensive if you need to do a quick job.

Jun 13, 2010
Hunter 1994 Hunter 35.5 Legend walker, mn
I am 6'3 and I use to get down there when I owned my 34......if you are overweight or have physical issues....maybe not...It might not be a bad idea to have someone around when you go down this hole......

Last edited:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
It is tight on the H31 as well.
2014-09-14 16.38.36.jpg

I now store two bags of life vests between the battery boxes, and the fuel tank. They give me a soft place to sit when working on the batteries or the plumbing. It also makes them easy to grab from the cockpit if needed.

I have been thinking of adding some line storage hooks along the hull side of this space to let me move my spare lines out of the quarter berth hanging locker.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
In Pit 3.JPG In Pit 2.JPG This fat boy is 6' and 265#.. and can get in … but not gracefully.. Yes it is a pain !

Sep 25, 2008
Hunter 34 Callao, VA
It happened to me when I was on the hard on a hot April/May day. I didn't get free until I "ouzed" all the way in and turned around. At the time I was 69, 215 pounds, and had a knee joint that was only a year old.
I won't try that again!
If I can get past a needed cabin sole replacement, I may cut thru from the aft berth.

Jun 23, 2015
Hunter H34 Deltaville
Don, your second pic shows something I don't have in my 1983, two bolts in the port bay, you must have something serious hanging below. Mind sharing?
kloudie1, you have more nerve than me, at 6'4" I didn't even try. I couldn't have an area of the boat where I couldn't access so I made the ice box, way too big for me, and the dish/glass storage go away. Now the area is accessible and used for fuel filters, plan on making a custom battery box with a removable cooler & counter.

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
I wouldn't mind except I hijacked the photo's from another 34 owner and don't remember who. Just a guess but I think what you're looking at it the strut mount.