Whats The BEST SAILING INSTRUCTION Book?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe Ford

Without a doubt.....

....The best all-around sailing book (instructional) is "The Annapolis Book of Seamanship" by John Rousmaniere.

J

JOHN SAINDON

best sailing manual (basics)

HI ALL ! I HAVE HAD MANY SAILING CLASSES AND SEEN MANY "MANUALS". I WAS MOST IMPRESSED WITH THE "AMERICAN RED CROSS" SAILING. THIS IS A BOOK FOR BEGINNERS...IF YOU WANT MORE STUFF! YOU SHOULD LOOK ELSEWARE. BEST REGARDS: JOHN SAINDON

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
For true beginners...

Jobson's 'Fundamentals of Sailing.' BTW, all these titles are available in our book store. :)

R

Rick Webb

My Favorite

The BoyScout Small Boat Sailing Merit Badge book. While you will quickly desire a more complex text, this one gives all of the basics in an easy to understand way. It is small and compact and best of all cheap. It is an excellant place to start. The Red Cross manual is also very good.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

Too many to chose from

And everybody has their own favorite - and for a reason. Each person learns differently and what worked great for Joe or John or Phil or Rick or me, may not work well for you. Take all the suggestions, then go to the bookstore & look at each carefully. Which one gives you the info you want to learn. Which one lays it out in a way you can grasp. Which one fits your pocketbook. Can you afford more than one? Buy two or three or whatever. But most of all, have fun learning! LaDonna PS: In case you're curious, I like Chapman's or Annapolis too.

G

Gary Wyngarden

Sailing Instruction Books

The American Sailing Association and the Coast Guard Auxiliary both sanction the Sailing Fundamentals book by Gary Jobson that Phil mentioned. There is a companion piece called Cruising Fundamentals that's the next level up. The text for the Advanced Coastal Cruising rating by the ASA is the Rousmaniere book that was already mentioned and which I think is excellent

G

Gene Barton s/v Paradigm

Chapman's

It's a book that you will go back to for a lifetime. There's a good reason Hunter puts one in each new boat. Every time you go back to it, you'll learn something new. I agree, though, that a mix is best. Get Chapman's for a reference, especially for cruising and boat owning issues, and Jobson's for sailing technique.

S

Sam Kurtz

Too General A Question?

I would seperate them into learning and mastering. All of these books are good, but if I was given a copy of Chapman Piloting or of the Annapolis Book of Seamanship to learn how to sail I would wonder if I had not bit off more than I could chew. That being said I would suggest a concise book to give all of the fundamentals and as you progress to get the thicker ones. An excellent one is Colgate,s Basic Sailing and the Coast Guard Auxiliary puts out a nice book titled Sailing and Seamanship. I sort of like Rick's suggestion I learned to sail at scout camp and my kids learned allot that way too. That manual covers all of the basics and is written for 13 year olds. If that book is too complicated you do not belong on the water and for a couple of bucks a copy it a value at twice the price.

G

GARRY @ S/V TASHTEGO

Best Book

I agree that The Annapolis Book of Seamanship by John Rousmaniere is probably the best single book for beginners. I avoided it for some time as the title suggested a cross between the Little Golden Book of Seamanship and a Naval Academy manual. When I finally got into it I found it to be an outstanding source for the beginner and even the not so new sailor.

L

Les Murray

The US Sailing Basic Keelboat manual good too

The instruction guide for the Basic Keelboat certification is pretty good for starters. It explains all the basics pretty well. Les Murray h20 Limerick

K

Kurt

The Complete Sailor

I found all the books mentioned helpful manauls, but I found that perhaps the best for beginning sailors is: The Complete Sailor:Learning the Art of Sailing. By David Seidman. It's simple, straightforward, well-illustrated, easy to understand, and has the best explanation of how to tie a bowline knot I've ever come across.

W

Ward Niffenegger

Not for beginners

I bought a book called 'The Best of Sail Trim' Many parts are complex formulas and theory, BUT even in youre not into the math it is excellent for TRULLY understanding how sails work and interact. I'm a 1st year novice, but it answered a lot of questions about when and how I should trim sails and what to look for in a properly trimmed sail under all different conditions. Ward

B

Brian Sweany

My personal favorites

Not a big fan of "how-to" sailing books. Robert Burgess' HANDBOOK OF TRAILER SAILING and anything by Tristan Jones (ONE HAND FOR YOURSELF, ONE FOR THE SHIP especially) head up my list.

J

Jim Rice

Sailing is like sex...

...did I get your attention? Seriously, it is! A book can't really tell you HOW to do it, but it can improve on the basics. And in that light, I'd like to nominate "The Handbook of Trailer Sailing". The BEST beginners book--once you know the basics of sailing. Since most of us start with that first trailerable boat, this is the book every manufacturer should give away with their 25' and under boats.

B

Bo Keuning

My Choice

....by luck I guess, was "Sail Power" by Wallace Ross. Gives details on sails and sail handling, maybe not for the novice, but sure explained the "weather helm" everybody has been talking about. I found it on the fleamarket for $1.00. My best investment.

M

Murray Procter

Sailing For Dummies

Not kidding! It is a very good beginner book.

R

Ron

Steve Colgate

Sounds like everyone has a favorite. I used Leeds Mitchell 20 years ago, but now keep a copy of Colgate handy.

C

Charlie Buerschinger

Power Squadron Sailing courses and DC book

The Dennis Connor book, "Learn to Sail" is very good. The texts for the two part US Power Squadron (USPS)Sailing Course, as well as, the course itself are excellent. If you are a beginner, it is not unusual to have an on the water sailboat ride included in the instruction as part of the Power Squadron course (the cost of the course for members is only the texts and materials). For follow up and to expand your knowledge, USPS courses such as "Seamanship" and "Piloting" are also excellent. They are especially valuable for learning those things that you need to know, but that are hard to learn on your own; like how to read a chart and a compass, traditions, rules of the road, etiquette, marlinspike seamanship, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.