What Were The Rules For The Chessie Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dick Vance

Just curious, since I wasn't able to attend this year, what were the rules for combat in the Hunter Cup at the Chesapeake Rendezvous? What handicap system did you use and were spinnakers allowed? From the photos, looks like the air was a bit light! Dick Vance H-25.5 "Honey Bear"

M

Mark Burrows

Pretty much standard

The rules were standard racing rules. There were no spinakers allowed. All of the boats were handicapped before the race. Wind was spotty. There were some lulls and gusts. Mark

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Rules? What rules? :)))

We did use PHRF...just one fleet. I can't remember whether spinnakers were permitted or not...nobody used one. But we did bend the rules a wee bit... Since start strategy seemed to focus more on gelcoat damage avoidance than on racing strategy, NObody was even close to over early...and some boats didn't cross the start within the 10 minute limit after the gun. However, we decided not to enforce it...or disqualify the boat that bumped the committee boat. This wasn't the America's Cup after all :)...everybody was out there to have fun and many were there to try racing for the very first time. The breeze was very light at the start, but a storm cell starting building shortly afterward and wind picked up about the time most of the fleet was rounding the windward mark. They'd been so slow geting to it that we'd beeen debated shortening course due to light winds...but with the increase in wind a storm cell was building, which ended the debate..Because there were so many novice racers--and novice sailors too--we shortened it for the safety of the fleet. Turned out to be a very good decision too...we'd finished the race and the fleet was motoring upriver back to the marina as the storm--packing 20-25k winds--broke. So we did--sorta--stick to USSA rules...but veeerrrrrrrrrrrrry flexibly. :) As a result I THINK everyone who raced had a good time out there.

M

Mark Whitson

PHRF Ches Bay

We used PHRF Ches Bay ratings. No spin, one fleet. Every thing else Peggy sez is true. She was on the RC. Not only is Peggy the Head Expert, she is also an accomplished racer and and the member of a few RCs in her area.

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Noooo I'm NOT an accomplished racer!!

I'm not even an accomplished sailor. But my YC drafted me to me chairman of the Race Committee a few years ago (my entire RC is made up of stinkpotters) so the sailors could be free to race instead of sit on an anchor all day. The club sponsors two major regattas each year, plus my boat and I (they really want my boat) do RC work in several others. It kinda came in handy at the rendevous when the RC came up short a member. But the real star of the committee was 15 yr old Jessica, who was our timekeeper and recorded the finishes. She'd never done it before, but did a better job of keeping the boat names and numbers straight as three of us were shouting them at her at the finish than many seasoned RC members have been known to do when several boats are finishing in a bunch. We were scratching our heads a couple of times trying to figure out "which boat was he?" but Jessica wasn't fazed a bit...she'd already gotten it. And btw, she's an absolutely delightful young lady too!

Status
Not open for further replies.