What to look for in a 26S?

Dec 20, 2019
Macgregor 26S Idaho
I'm looking to buy a 26S that is 1300 miles away. I'm considering purchasing it sight unseen and having it shipped. Or I may drive the 1300 miles to check it out before completing the purchase. Its in Kansas. What should I look for or ask about? My concern is that I'm not sure if the PO stored it with the ballast tank full. Are the tanks susceptible to freeze damage?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Where in Kansas? I'm on Cheney and I had a 26S for 10 years. If it's here I can look at it for you.
I doubt the seller stored it with a full ballast. It's too hard on the trailer and so easy to empty. I'd be more concerned about the condition of the trailer

kenr74

May 3, 2019
Magregor 26S Oregon
That is a big roll of the dice. Would have to be next to free for me to buy it sight unseen.

I would want to see sails, outboard, trailer, rudder, keel and overall condition in person.

There is one in Portland that has been for sale forever. The guy may be motivated at this point.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
To add to the comments above recommend a survey and visual inspection before you purchase. An interesting thread and review below.