What 'sthe thought on an O'day 17 for a beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stephanie

I am looking at purchasing an O'Day 17 which is in very good condition for my husband. This will be our first sail boat and I am wondering what an experienced persons thought is on the O'Day and if this would be a good beginning boat. Please help me make a good decision.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Great idea!

Stephanie, The O'day daysailer range (including the venerable Daysailer) are excellent boats to learn to sail on. If the boat is reasonably clean, complete, and in your price range, it would be hard to go wrong. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

K

Kevin Ferguson

Perfect Size for Adults!!

Stephanie, I just recently purchased an Oday Javalin, 16 footer. I grew up sailing on lake Huron, and I wanted to teach my Wife, & 10 year old son how to sail. We have had the boat out 3 times in the last 4 weeks. They love it!! I wanted some thing that was pretty stable, and that had a good size open cockpit. The boat turned out to be pretty quick, and very easy to rig, launch, and handel. I paid $900 for it, its 22 years old and is in great shape. Good Luck & have fun.

L

Lisa

I started on one and I love it!

I have an O'Day 17 and it is easy to rig and sail. Maintenance is nothing and of course, it can be towed anywhere. Its a smooth sailing boat and just put a 2 hp engine on the back and you will be all set. Look for a SEAS class, Society for the Education of the American Sailor and you will get all you need to enjoy sailing forever!

D

Dave

Miss. Stephanie

Mrs. Stephanie< I have taught both my sons to sail in the daysailor II. It is an excellent boat to learn in with plenty of room for mistakes. It is a little slow pointing into the wind and is a little heavy in light air. Overall it is an excellent boat. I have taught my oldest, now 22, to sail on the intercoastal in Clearwater, Fl, and my youngest, 13, to sail on lakes here in southern Illinois. Begin with just the main, and play with the wind. Use the tiller to make changes without jibing the sail. A good reference book is the boy scout manual for the sailing merit badge. Quick, easy, and written on a basic level for the hard to learn. Then add the jib/head sail and watch the fun begin... Dave.

S

Steve

Daysailer II

I can only say that I agree with all the other replies. I got a Oday76 daysailer II 2 years ago I have nothing to compare it to but the boat is sturdy easy to rig and has an excellent reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.