What size Genoa sails will fit MacGregor 26C? Will a 110% work?

Sep 20, 2011
MacGregor 26 Lake Waccamaw, NC
I have a 150 Genoa & jib (100%). Anybody ever try a 110? I do not have a fuler.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Different sailboat but I sail with a 110% jib, which I have had on all my sailboats in the SF Bay. Below is an article on pros and cons of different size head sails for MacGregor sailboats. Seems to me if you have a 100% jib and 150% genoa you are petty well covered for light and heavy wind conditions.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Most of the cruising jibs we made for the Mac26 classic were 105% LP and they fit beautifully.

The jib tracks on the Mac 26 classic (S and D) are on the cabin top, so the lower spreaders place some constraints on how far aft the leech edge can be without hitting the spreaders. That's an important design constraint. The only way to get a 110 or 115% jib to sheet to the cabin top is to make the clew very low to the deck.

We've made jibs as big as 115% that can be sheeting to the cabin top. However, in order to keep it from hitting the spreaders, we had to put the clew as low as possible to the track. A decksweeper is great for upwind downwind racing, but not very practical for general cruising. The deck sweeping shape makes it hang up on the lifelines on any point of sail other than a close haul. It also makes it point exceedingly well, but it not reach very well, due to the vertical sheeting angle.

And, even though some people think you can't make 135 on a 26C that works well, we built quite a few furling 130% and 135's that worked just fine. They were desgined to be sheet to the cockpit, but when furled enough the leads could be moved forward, for an effective size something smaller than a 100%

Judy B
Retired Sailmaker who made a lot of Macgregor sails.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2011
MacGregor 26 Lake Waccamaw, NC
I need to replace my old 100% jib. I would like to try a 105% LP on my MacG, what sailmakers would you recommend?

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
I, also, do not have a roller furler. I have a deck bag for my jib that is almost as easy as roller furling.

In my conversations with Todd at Blue Water Yachts, he says that anything larger than a 110% will tangle with the spreaders. You might want to have a chat with him about the kit he is planning to introduce next year that will maximize the performance of the 110% roller-furled jib. The ultimate aim is to obviate the need for a large genoa.

Not having sufficiently deep pockets, I opted for the standard 100% jib replacement. I feel the boat is so nicely balanced with the standard rig (little if any weather helm in most circumstances) I did not want to mess that up since I would not be able to furl it in.

Blue Water Yachts, Sail Warehouse, and several other dealers source their sails from Rolly Tasker. Not being one who feels the need for a high-end sail, I have been satisfied with their 5-ounce Dacron main and jib. I am not an expert by any stretch, but I get feel these are a pretty good value as my normal sailing conditions (casual cruising in protected waters) are not that demanding. I have been satisfied with the main and jib I bought for my 26s, but do not like the twist-on hanks that are apparently standard on the Rolly Tasker jib as they fall off the forestay too easily when lowering and raising the sail.

Last edited: