What on Earth is going on with my Yanmar 1GM10

May 10, 2016
Bayfield 25 Buffalo, NY
Took my boat out today and all was running fine with my 1GM10. I was keeping it at about 1000-2000rpm when all of the sudden it revs itself up to full throttle and I can't back it down or choke it out! White smoke is billowing from my exhaust and I can smell oil burning. I'm still able to throw the boat into forward and reverse, hoping that the gear change would put the engine under manageable load again. Finally after a minute or so it does back down and I can choke it out. I see oil in my bilge and some splattered toward the rear of the engine/ near the shaft but nothing really apparent showing its source. What the heck did I break???

May 10, 2016
Bayfield 25 Buffalo, NY
This sounds like exactly what's going on. Any recommendations as to the best way to fix this?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
This sounds like exactly what's going on. Any recommendations as to the best way to fix this?
I don't, beyond the wiki's reasons for it happening at all, and their logical repair procedures.

You might do a forum search on "diesel runaway" using that little quick search box in the upper right of every page.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
That sounds like a run away, but the question is why did it do it. Often a run away is due to the rings or valves leaking so much oil that the engine will run on it, but that causes black smoke and it won't stop until the oil runs out and the engine seizes. White smoke indicates too much fuel in the cylinders which points to an injection or governor problem, but why did it do it and why did it stop without destroying the engine? Could be a loose or broken spring in the governor or some issue in the injection pump. And it will likely do it again these thing don't just go away.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
I'm curious too. It sounds like a runaway diesel but I've only heard that runaway diesels only stop one way without manually cutting off the air supply.... kaboom!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Check the simple stuff first. Had you checked the oil level? To much oil in the crankcase can cause that; also check for a fuel leak into the crankcase which may increase its level. After all Diesel fuel is just a thinner version of oil. A rupture in the lift pump diaphragm can cause such a leak. Should it happen again just stuff a towel or large rag into the air intake tube to shut it off. Avoid using the decompression lever.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
According to Larry Berlin of Mack Boring, Yan mar's east coast distributor, a diesel runaway in a sailboat can generally be cured by bringing the boat to a flat level position so excess oil is no longer getting flung around to combust and 'run away.' ( this is a particular problem for splash lube engines which are overfilled with oil in a boat which is then put on a hard heel . ) he also suggests having a custom piece of metal handy , larger than your air intake, to put over the air intake to block air to stop combustion. trying to block with a rag is a bad idea, it would get sucked in. he advised that a piece of wood could break.

May 10, 2016
Bayfield 25 Buffalo, NY
Thank you all for your help! I'm honestly not sure why engine hasn't torn itself to pieces and was able to restabilize itself afterward. I'm almost certain that this little episode just ate through my oil supply so I'll be checking that and probably replacing the filters.

Am I incorrect in thinking that I should be able to partially restrict the fuel supply by turning the supply valve part-way? Or better yet, is there a way to restrict the fuel pump with out adding excess strain to it?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My Mack Boring guy said a tennis ball is a good air blocker. Keep one handy near the air intake. But he also said the best thing to do is stay away, as the crankcase might explode right in your face.

Last edited:
May 10, 2016
Bayfield 25 Buffalo, NY
Cut off the fuel may not stop the runaway. Cut off air will.
I'm looking at a way to avoid future incidents more than just stopping it when it happens. That's the one thing I haven't been able to find and I refuse to accept that the only thing we can do is wait for runaway to happen and stop it.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
If it is a runaway diesel, fuel is not the issue. Oil is leaking past your piston rings and igniting. This causes the engine to speed up as if more fuel was being added. As the engine speeds up, even more oil is drawn into the cylinders past the leaky rings causing the engine to run faster and faster until... kaboom. Plenty of youtube videos to google on this.

May 10, 2016
Bayfield 25 Buffalo, NY
If it is a runaway diesel, fuel is not the issue. Oil is leaking past your piston rings and igniting. This causes the engine to speed up as if more fuel was being added. As the engine speeds up, even more oil is drawn into the cylinders past the leaky rings causing the engine to run faster and faster until... kaboom.
I'll have to look into replacing those rings then. Thanks for the advice!

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Thank you all for your help! I'm honestly not sure why engine hasn't torn itself to pieces and was able to restabilize itself afterward. I'm almost certain that this little episode just ate through my oil supply so I'll be checking that and probably replacing the filters.
I also hope you didn't do any damage to your transmission. Slamming it into forward and reverse at high rpm can't be a good thing. The idea of a stout piece of metal to block the air intake is the best way to stop a runaway diesel, as a previous poster mentioned. Obviously you need to troubleshoot this and repair the problem first and foremost. But I'd have that piece of metal handy even after the repair, just in case.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I'm looking at a way to avoid future incidents more than just stopping it when it happens. That's the one thing I haven't been able to find and I refuse to accept that the only thing we can do is wait for runaway to happen and stop it.
Absolutely right!!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Looking for ways to restrict or cut off fuel will not stop a runaway diesel. It is getting its own fuel from the oil in the crankcase. What I was saying about the fuel pump is that if it gets a perforation in the diaphragm it will allow fuel to leak into the crankcase and elevate the level of oil inside the crankcase. The solution would be to replace the pump.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Doesn't have to be running on lube oil. If the governor locks up full open that also is a runaway, but running on fuel oil. The fact that it stopped by itself makes me think more that direction. Lube oil runaways usually don't do that, the engine either seizes or blows up if you don't manually stop it by cutting off the air. A broken spring or crud in the governor could cause that, and be much easier and cheaper to fix than a ring job.

May 10, 2016
Bayfield 25 Buffalo, NY
Replacing piston rings is no small repair job.
I know, but I have a number of people who are good wrenches to help me out. I'm just inexperienced with how diesels run which is why this whole runaway thing is foreign to me.