What kind of traveler you would recommend for Mac 26C

Sep 20, 2011
MacGregor 26 Lake Waccamaw, NC
Trying to upgrade my 1995 26 C. Thinking adding traveler, all lines to cockpit (new halyards, deck organizers, line clutch for main?, cleats....). Looking for recommendations. APS having 25% off sale now.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
There are plenty of brand name choices, Garhauer, Harken, Lewmar and more, we will always try to beat the competition, give me me a call if you'd like to discuss specifics. For the lines, we offer Samson XLS3 and we have a great rig shop.

dave
877-932-7245 x116
Mon-Fri, 9-3:30 Pacific

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
I bought a Lewmar size 0 kit for my 26S. It looked kinda small even though it is rated for a 28' boat. I haven't installed it yet but the next size up is a lot more expensive.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Is this going to be a boat you will keep for a while? I ask because I did all of the same mods and more on my 26S. Then I sold it for a larger boat that came fully equipped. The new Mac owner got a heckuva deal!

Sep 20, 2011
MacGregor 26 Lake Waccamaw, NC
I plan on keeping this one. Open to traveler suggestions, along with bar length, location, & installation ideas. I’m 71. Boat’s on a mooring. I single sail a lot, so want the lines within easy access, but cannot get rid of seat wife’s cushions.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
I installed a lewmar 1 on my 24' boat and I'm very happy with it. I would not go with a smaller one.

Jan 22, 2008
Montgomery 17, Venture of Newport, Mirror sailing dinghy, El Toro sailing dinghy Mound, MN -- Lake Minnetonka
You might consider going with a dual mainsheet system. It gives you all the sail control benefits of a traveler but does not clutter up the cockpit or intrude on seating space. It allows you to lock the boom in any position. I installed a system similar to the one below (drawing borrowed from a post in another forum) on my Venture 23 and have been very satisfied with it. I went with a 3:1 tackle and Harken swivel bases at the corners of the transom.

Double%20Mainsheet.jpg