What is this?

Nov 8, 2015
Coronado coronado 23 Lake Conroe
What is this? I think it's the release for the keel. The button is stuck, assuming it is a button.

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Hard to tell, but might be a manual bilge pump stub?
There might be a handle that fits over the stub?

May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
That's a manual bilge pump. You'll find the suction and discharge house below the cockpit seat - look aft from inside the cabin. You need the removable handle to work it.

Sep 24, 2016
Catalina C-22 San Pedro
We have a 1975 C-22 that we just bought. I found the manual bilge pump and I checked it out in a bucket of water and it works. Does the 75 model have a stub or hook up area or do you just put the end of the pump in the water and let a hose move the water overboard?

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Follow the hoses, should be two, one to thru hull other with a screen end in the bilge

Sep 14, 2014
Look inside lazarette in cockpit behind the pump handle face plate and find pump then follow the holes to wherever they go.

Sep 14, 2014
Also look over the side on probably port side for the thru hull from the pump
Worst case if pump works and water level goes down, add some food coloring to bilge water and look for color on side of boat both sides.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Bill and Kathy, there are no dumb questions. I don't know your boat, but from the pictures it looks like this pump is in the starboard cockpit lazerette. Open that door in the seat pan, just left of the pump, and stick your head in it, looking aft towards the pump. If you can see the pump itself, you should see two hoses attached. One will run from the pump to some sort of overboard exit fitting, and that fitting may (or may not) be near the pump.. You should learn where that exit is, so you can monitor it when you test the pump.

The other hose will likely run forward, and end up in the bilge. No telling how the hose is routed, but a good start would be a plumbing diagram in the owner's manual, if you have one for the boat. One can probably also be found online. However, it may not be the way the factory plumbed it, so just take a look. Follow this second hose until it disappears around a corner or though something like a bulkhead or a cabinet. Then go to the other side of the bulkhead or cabinet wall, and visually reaquire the hose. Follow it visually until it disappears again. Repeat the above steps, until you determine how it is routed to the bilge. At the end of the hose in the bilge, there is likely to be some sort of relatively heavy fitting to weight down the end, and the fitting should have a screen. You don't want the hose getting clogged with small stuff when you need it to pump water.

By all means, test the pump. Take a 2 gallon or larger bucket of water down to the bilge and put the hose into it, then have someone use the handle (which you need to find, or make a new one) to work the pump. Verify that it moves water, and expels that water overboard.

Hope this helps. The process will help you learn about your boat - where things are, etc. You will likely see other hoses, and some wiring, during this exercise. It pays to know where EVERYTHING is.

Edit: Beat me to it.

Sep 14, 2014
May have gotten you confused Bill and Kathy is your manual pump just a big tube with a handle on top and a outlet hose coming out the side or one mounted in the boat?

Sep 24, 2016
Catalina C-22 San Pedro
Bill and Kathy, there are no dumb questions. I don't know your boat, but from the pictures it looks like this pump is in the starboard cockpit lazerette. Open that door in the seat pan, just left of the pump, and stick your head in it, looking aft towards the pump. If you can see the pump itself, you should see two hoses attached. One will run from the pump to some sort of overboard exit fitting, and that fitting may (or may not) be near the pump.. You should learn where that exit is, so you can monitor it when you test the pump.

The other hose will likely run forward, and end up in the bilge. No telling how the hose is routed, but a good start would be a plumbing diagram in the owner's manual, if you have one for the boat. One can probably also be found online. However, it may not be the way the factory plumbed it, so just take a look. Follow this second hose until it disappears around a corner or though something like a bulkhead or a cabinet. Then go to the other side of the bulkhead or cabinet wall, and visually reaquire the hose. Follow it visually until it disappears again. Repeat the above steps, until you determine how it is routed to the bilge. At the end of the hose in the bilge, there is likely to be some sort of relatively heavy fitting to weight down the end, and the fitting should have a screen. You don't want the hose getting clogged with small stuff when you need it to pump water.

By all means, test the pump. Take a 2 gallon or larger bucket of water down to the bilge and put the hose into it, then have someone use the handle (which you need to find, or make a new one) to work the pump. Verify that it moves water, and expels that water overboard.

Hope this helps. The process will help you learn about your boat - where things are, etc. You will likely see other hoses, and some wiring, during this exercise. It pays to know where EVERYTHING is.

Edit: Beat me to it.
I am planning on joining the C-22 National Asso. just to get access to manuals and repair information. I am a drawing and schematic guy.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
It's a big tube with a handle and the outlet is on the side.
Then I probably led you astray, guys. I'm sorry. If the pump is just a big tube, the end of the tube probably goes into the bilge. Sounds like you already found the outlet. Verify that it runs overboard. You should test the pump, but that's hard to do if there is no water in the bilge, and the tube is fixed in place.

Sorry I wasn't more help.

Sep 24, 2016
Catalina C-22 San Pedro
Then I probably led you astray, guys. I'm sorry. If the pump is just a big tube, the end of the tube probably goes into the bilge. Sounds like you already found the outlet. Verify that it runs overboard. You should test the pump, but that's hard to do if there is no water in the bilge, and the tube is fixed in place.

Sorry I wasn't more help.
No problem, I got to explore some interesting places. I was really curious. The bilge is dry which suprises be for a 41 year old boat. I have water in the port side compartments on either side of the table. We had alot of rain the past 2 weeks so I need to track that leak down. I am guessing that is from the port side windows or there is a gap between the sliding cover and the cabin door/boards. Really can't think of anywhere else it could be coming from.
Thanks for the help.
Living here in Belize, the boat is moored at the dock in front of our condo. Nice and handy, but makes it a little harder to work on. September and October are our hottest months, so it is warm out there until about 4pm. Plan on taking some photos of the entire boat soon. Thanks again,

Sep 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Jacksonville
Mine has that same exact bilge pump looks like. No clue what the handle should look like, don't think I have mine either.

Sep 14, 2014
Round handle with inset for stub round button in center of cover plate.