What is the biggest motor I can use?

Jul 21, 2014
MacGregor 26X Maryland
I just completed doing a ten day cruise with my macGregor 26X on the Chesapeake. The motor (Mercury 50 HP) could not get me on plane. I did have extra weight on board. I did empty the water balast, and raised the center-board and rudders, and lowered the sails. I want to get a bigger motor to get me on plane. I am thinking of a 75HP motor. The motor also burned up a six gallon tank in about twelve miles, and I just had work done on it. What can you recommend? Harris

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
somewhere I have a picture of a 140 suzi on a X. and I've read of a 90hp on another.

lots of mods to the transom to strengthen both. 70hp is not uncommon. (and IMHO, about right).. in either case I would add some fiberglass and backing. and maybe shift weight forward.

OTOH you might want to check with your insurance and atty's on exceeding the max hp rating...

-how many gal/hour are you burning? <-more useful than distance -imho

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
recommendations???? this question has been asked so many times that you can do a search on this site and find all sorts of opinions on it.

and this is only another opinion, not a judgment:D

I am NOT a sailboat purist, but neither do I think a speedboat can come anywhere close to offering as much contentment on the water as a sailboat can.
I feel the speedboat part of it takes away everything the sailboat part of it has to offer...

to try and blend a speedboat and a sailboat together is a good example of an objectified oxymoron.... it is almost always a cause for comment and you can use it anyway you want to, but no matter how its used it just seems wrong:D

as to the motor size recommendation on that boat, MrBill_FLL has it about as right as anyone else you could ever ask.

the boat would support a bigger motor, and smaller motor will get it there..... and you want to get it there faster than the 50hp will deliver, so its only a matter of your insurance and your ingenuity as to what you are able to bolt on. a 250hp?. well... why not, if speed is the goal, your ultimately going to need more power....
as for safety factors, they go down as the boat speed goes up, especially with a heavily loaded boat.

a powerboat hull will be much more efficient moving fast thru the water, and a sailboat will be much more efficient with a proper hull shape and a smaller motor.

the fuel usage is about right for that 50 attempting to lift the boat on plane but can only push against the bow wave.
running it at just a bit above idle you could probably come close to matching our numbers.... this past weekend, we ran nearly 50 miles on 3 gallons of fuel.... but then we werent trying to get up on plane either....

Oct 21, 2010
Macgregor 26S, "Myuna" Brisbane, Australia
I just completed doing a ten day cruise with my macGregor 26X on the Chesapeake. The motor (Mercury 50 HP) could not get me on plane. I did have extra weight on board. I did empty the water balast, and raised the center-board and rudders, and lowered the sails. I want to get a bigger motor to get me on plane. I am thinking of a 75HP motor. The motor also burned up a six gallon tank in about twelve miles, and I just had work done on it. What can you recommend? Harris
The following forum tends to get a lot more 26X & 26m owners on it http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9. May be worth a try.

Last edited:

Yosi

Apr 22, 2012
Unsure Unsure Florida
I have an Etec 90 on a 26M. No need for speed, but good to know torque is available if needed (like heading to port if storm closes).

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I have an Etec 90 on a 26M. No need for speed, but good to know torque is available if needed (like heading to port if storm closes).

did you do anything to the transom or bracket to strengthen it? how long has it been there and any stress cracks showing?

Dec 8, 2007
-mac 26M -26M tucson-san carlos mx
Many many people use 70-90 hp motors. very popular on the newer M's. Blue Water Yatchs the biggest mac dealer installs 70hp Suzuki as standard offering. Don't worry about insurance or legal, it's a 26 foot boat there is no requirement of a hp or pass load limit per coast guard regs. several people I know have had 125 -140 hp motors for several years with no issues, your mostly limited by to room under the seat when you raise your motor up all the way. the big 150hp v-6 blocks are to big to raise without lifting seat upm so your limited to the 3-4 cylinder inline engine block class of motors.

Dec 8, 2007
when you can afford the 100,000$ price of a motor boat that has comparable cabin size to a mac.

Yosi

Apr 22, 2012
Unsure Unsure Florida
did you do anything to the transom or bracket to strengthen it? how long has it been there and any stress cracks showing?
no, just stock installation since new (2008). No cracks or anything. The Etec is lighter than most modern 4 stroke engines and provides more torque. It's also legal in California per low emissions.

Yosi

Apr 22, 2012
Unsure Unsure Florida
no, just stock installation since new (2008). No cracks or anything. The Etec is lighter than most modern 4 stroke engines and provides more torque. It's also legal in California per low emissions.
well, now I know. Numeral eight and close parenthesis gets you cheap sunglasses.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I motored from Matha's Vineyard to Fairhaven on 2.5 gallons. That was at 5.5 knots. That works for me. No wind or the sheets would have been out.

Jul 21, 2014
MacGregor 26X Maryland
Etec 90

What is the weight of the Etec 90, and how fast can you go with it? My 50hp Mercury cannot plane me. Would a Etec 70hp be more fitting for the Mac 26X? Would there be much difference between the 70hp and the 90hp? Harris

Yosi

Apr 22, 2012
Unsure Unsure Florida
Merc 75/90 1732cc 4cyl 399lbs
Suzi 70/90 1500cc 4cyl 340-350lbs
Etec 75/90 1295cc 3cyl 320lbs

I don't do water sport with the M so I normally use it just to go in/out of marina. I like the torque as a safety feature or when needed. Used it one and did 20 knts with full ballast.

When I visited the factory almost two years ago I met with Roger and Mike. They said they sell the M with Etec 60 only as they can get good price due to volume purchase. I respect both Roger and Mike and if they say Etec 60 is good, that's enough for me. It just happened that my boat came with Etec 90. Had I bought a new one from them I would have had Etec 60.

Yosi

Apr 22, 2012
Unsure Unsure Florida
Yosi, what motor hp/weight do you think a Macgregor 26X could handle? Harris
Harris, I'm no expert on this. The two experts I know are BWY and Mike Inmon (worked for Roger at the factory for many years). I asked Mike about BWY installing larger motors and he said he would not install larger than Etec60. But then again, this is what they were selling. I highly recommend calling BWY. Also, their website has a lot of information on the motors they use and why. Good luck.

Dec 8, 2007
Harris, I'm no expert on this. The two experts I know are BWY and Mike Inmon (worked for Roger at the factory for many years). I asked Mike about BWY installing larger motors and he said he would not install larger than Etec60. But then again, this is what they were selling. I highly recommend calling BWY. Also, their website has a lot of information on the motors they use and why. Good luck.
Blue Water will recommend you install a 70hp 4stroke Suzuki, again not for any mechanical reason but because they get a special deal from Suzuki on the price just like roger at the mac factory changed from recommending a 50hp Nissan to all the sudden 60hp etecs were ok to mount with no over stressing of transom. He got special pricing from bombardier on the 60etec price.Hundreds of people have 90-140 hp motors on the X and M for over ten years with never a single failure of boat structure, its just not an issue, its only an issue if your dealer doesn't get a special deal on the engine you want, then they claim it will ruin your boat and you can only put on what they sell.

Mar 24, 2011
Macgregor 26X Lake Murray
I own a Mac X with the Honda BF50.
I'm surprised you could not get on plane with your Merc 50.
Can you gestimate your weight? The reason I ask, is that if your that heavily loaded, other safety factors may come into play.
If this were me (and it was a couple of years ago), I would make sure my engine was in tip top condition, including having the carbs done and synced. I would also make sure the prop is in good condition and the proper size.
I hope this saves you some major boat bucks :)
Good luck and safe travels