What happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eric

New experience! Was out sailing yesterday and someone went to use the head. Boat was heeled to starboard and I started hearing gurguling and saw a nice shade of blue (thank god) coming out of the head overflow. Tank is on the port side and overfill on starboard. This has never happened before and this was the first time the head was used this year. I also had to eliminate the direct pump out and overboard discharge feature several years ago by removing the tank hose from the manual pump and capping it. I can't see where this would have any effect but just incase info provided. I am pretty sure the tank was empty when this happened but then again. Can the head only be used when the boat is level? What are your thoughts? Thanks

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

I think your tank overflowed

You're only "pretty sure" the tank was empty...from what you describe, I don't think think so. And btw, the vent line is NOT an overflow!!! It's a vent...intended ONLY for the passage of air. If you've been using it as an overflow, the odds are good that it's partially blocked, which may be why your tank wasn't empty...and if you keep doing it, it may clog completely...resulting in a cracked tank when you try to pump out. You need to check out your system completely to find out exactly what happened. And while I have the floor....I'm constantly astonished at the number of you who leave the dock only "pretty sure" that anything is working. An overflowing holding tank is nasty...it's inconvenient...but it isn't likely to leave you stranded 10 miles out to sea. However, I have a strong suspicion that anyone who doesn't even know for certain whether the holding tank is empty doesn't know for certain what the exact condition is of anything on the boat. And just assuming anything puts you, your crew, and your vessel at risk. 'Nuff said??

Status
Not open for further replies.