What do you tow your Mac with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
fwiw, I currently tow with a 2003 5.4 expedition (2wd), with the tow package. getting 15mph around town, and 13 when I tow. (love the truck, not the mpg).

before that had a 94 expedition 4.0 v6, also with the tow pkg. think it got 16mpg, and 13 for towing. felt it too small for the car trailer (didn't own the mac then). it was ok towing a skiff (20' open fish w/ 200 merc).

and before that an 88 jimmy (S10) with the v6. towed skiff's fine. but had main seal problems.

finally, I had a go fast a long time ago (1998 ?), w/ 3 axle trailer. used a friends ford F350 dually diesel, stick, and it had problems getting it out of the ramp. felt like he had to slip the clutch to get it going. but once on flat ground it was fine. -prolly not an issue for a mac...

doesn't dodge make a V6 diesel? (cummings)

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
I have a 1995 Chev 3500 Extended Cab Dually with a 454......I like the safety of six tires on the ground and the weight of the truck to handle the boat, and the trailer has no brakes. 12 MPG is a bummer. Sometimes I forget that there is a boat on the back.

The other day I did not have it attached properly to the trailer ball and it jumped off at 60 mph. The chain saved the boat and the truck was able to control the trailer swinging on the chain. The spare tire was dragging on the road also and I think it helped me control everything.
I crapped my pants!:eek:

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
12 is twice as good as 6.

I have a 1995 Chev 3500 Extended Cab Dually with a 454......I like the safety of six tires on the ground and the weight of the truck to handle the boat, and the trailer has no brakes. 12 MPG is a bummer. Sometimes I forget that there is a boat on the back.

The other day I did not have it attached properly to the trailer ball and it jumped off at 60 mph. The chain saved the boat and the truck was able to control the trailer swinging on the chain. The spare tire was dragging on the road also and I think it helped me control everything.
I crapped my pants!:eek:

Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
towing... sort of ......

We pulled the 26D to in front of our house. Parked on the street and unhooked the truck while doing some maintenance...

My son and I heard a noise as we were setting up a pressure washer - and when we turned around... the 26D and trailer were rolling down the street.

There is almost NO grade on the street... a basketball or other balls will not roll on it... There was just enough of a slope to get the water to run off.....

So.. My son chased it down, and naturally - since it was registered in Texas -- treated it like a stampede. Get in Front and attempt to steer it to a safe stop... "Whoa....."

So.... you "could" say that he was towing it... not by choice.. but he did miss a new truck and strongly encouraged the neighbors to not park on the street for a while...

Doesn't take much to get it started.. stopping is a good deal more interesting, I think...

--jerry

Jul 24, 2005
anchor...

Duuhhh.....

Never occurred to us...

or would could have tied off to the mailbox!!!! :eek:

Jul 24, 2005
seeing your boat...

rolling off down the street does not encourage clear thinking... Kind of like a MOB drill in reverse.... but I don't know how you would practice for it...

--jerry

Dec 16, 2011
MacGregor 25 swing keel Torch Lake MI
Just bought my 1987 25'
I see these boats are marketed as trailerable and towable with regular cars SUVs minivans etc
I expect to pull it around with my 99 blazer
I got it home with a Sebring
I was told that was über dangerous
due to the lengh and weight I'm going to need some super duper over -compensater pick-up
What do you folks use and how does it go?
I tow my Mac 25 Single axle trailer with a 2011 Chrysler Mini van, At speeds between 55 and 60 it does a pretty good job. Since I do not have brakes on the trailer I take it easy. The only challenge I have found is loading the bow with weight for tongue weight of about 100#. The boat is balanced well on the trailer. The other issue is since the van sits low I have to have a off set head of 6". This still is not high enough but helps. The van has enough power as long as I dont try to push it. I also pull it with my Dodge Ram 2500 4x4. This is really the perfect vehicle, it sits high enough to pull the boat/trailer level and has enough power and weight to run 65/70MPH with no problems. Good Luck

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
And do be sure the boat is attached to the trailer whe backing down or pulling the boat up the ramp, do not depend on gravity or----

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
85/Mac/25 said:
I tow my Mac 25 Single axle trailer with a 2011 Chrysler Mini van, At speeds between 55 and 60 it does a pretty good job. Since I do not have brakes on the trailer I take it easy. The only challenge I have found is loading the bow with weight for tongue weight of about 100#. The boat is balanced well on the trailer. The other issue is since the van sits low I have to have a off set head of 6". This still is not high enough but helps. The van has enough power as long as I dont try to push it. I also pull it with my Dodge Ram 2500 4x4. This is really the perfect vehicle, it sits high enough to pull the boat/trailer level and has enough power and weight to run 65/70MPH with no problems. Good Luck
I had the same van and pulled a lower weight popup trailer. Transmission made it to 105,000 miles. It is a crappy transmission, and known to have this problem.

Jeff

Dec 21, 2011
Macgregor 26S Lake Red Rock
I use a 2006 GMC Canyon 4 cylinder....about 180hp

It works for the short distance and relatively flat area I drive. NO overdrive though. I keep it in low 3 or it would be jumping in and out of overdrive under load....not good.

My next truck will be a V8. I swear they get the same gas mileage with a lot more hp when you want it.

Doug L

Sep 9, 2006
South Coast 22 MI
The 99 Blazer should tow it OK. Keep it out of overdrive, use drive 3, keep your speed 60-65. You probably will have to load all your stuff in the V berth to get enough weight on the tonge of the trailer to keep it from swaying at higher speeds. It would be best to have brakes on the trailer, I towed a 85 Mac 25 with 1984 Blazer, it had to work but it did OK. Stopping was a little harder, my factory Mac trailer had no brakes, but it should have. In Michigan you are supposed to have brakes if the trailer is over 2000 lb. You probably will be about 3500 lb, the Blazer, with factory trailer backage, is rated for up to 5000 lb.

Nov 25, 2011
MacGregor 26S Grandby
Blowing out ballast

To DoeHunter, I'm confused as to how, before loading it on the trailer, you blow out the ballast on your S when the drain valve is below the water line. Wouldn't the ballast have to be pumped out using the vent plug hole by the companion way steps?

Sep 26, 2010
Macgregor 1993 26S Houston
To DoeHunter, I'm confused as to how, before loading it on the trailer, you blow out the ballast on your S when the drain valve is below the water line. Wouldn't the ballast have to be pumped out using the vent plug hole by the companion way steps?
Yep!
You just loosen the big wing nut all the way to open the valve. Don't worry about air leaking out of the top, it seals good enough.
You have to jury rig a hose to connect an air mattress pump to the air vent hole. I finally got around to adding a pvc coupling in the hole to make a better place for the plug to seal, and it helped with the mattress hose as well.
Jim

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.