What do you tow your Mac with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 21, 2011
macgregor 25 barrie, ontario
Just bought my 1987 25'
I see these boats are marketed as trailerable and towable with regular cars SUVs minivans etc
I expect to pull it around with my 99 blazer
I got it home with a Sebring
I was told that was über dangerous
due to the lengh and weight I'm going to need some super duper over -compensater pick-up
What do you folks use and how does it go?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There's a lot of discussion on this in the archives. Even advice on moving/adding axles. Longer wheelbase is more stable. I would not pull with a car because of the tongue weight. I use a 5.7L Suburban for peace of mind.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
it depends...

how far do you tow, how fast, hilly or flat, and do you have brakes on the trailer.

-you can get away with a mini van, or V6 truck... for a while, if you take it easy.

the transmission is what takes a hit if you generate a lot of heat. I would be sure you have a transmission cooler on the blazer (full size blazer (K5) or mid size? )

I'd want something with a tow rating of at least 5k, and trailer brakes.

Texrob

Apr 26, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Lake Travis Austin, Texas
We have a RS350 Lexus with AWD and a tow package and it does fine with our M26.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
'99 Toyota Tacoma FI V6 with the "check engine" light on. I'm beatin' the $&!+ out of it!

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2010
Venture 2-22 Oneida Lake
Up until now, I have towed both my V2-22 and M25 with a 1997 Blazer (midsize/S10) 4-dr 4X4 auto. If the tongue weight is done right (meaning plenty), the Blazer handles either boat perfectly well. I don't run it in overdrive while towing, though. I was told that you're not supposed to be in overdrive while towing a load that heavy, for the sake of the transmission. The 22's trailer doesn't have brakes, but the Blazer's brakes handled stopping well. The 25 has surge brakes on the trailer, so that stops even better.

However, I just made the switch from the Blazer to a 6-cyl Ford Escape. I've done research around message forums, and Escapes are said to do okay with towing boats (3500lb tow capacity on V6 Escape) as long as an extra transmission cooler is installed. We'll see what happens next season.

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
I use a 2007 ford ranger 4X4, 4.0 ltr, trailer package. Have no problems towing or stopping. Went with the 4X4 mainly to pull the boat out. My old 2 wheel drive ranger spun a lot when pulling the boat out. Most ramps are too busy to wait for the tank to empty so I have to pull out the full weight.

Sep 26, 2010
Macgregor 1993 26S Houston
I use a 2007 ford ranger 4X4, 4.0 ltr, trailer package. Have no problems towing or stopping. Went with the 4X4 mainly to pull the boat out. My old 2 wheel drive ranger spun a lot when pulling the boat out. Most ramps are too busy to wait for the tank to empty so I have to pull out the full weight.
Not to hijack the thread, but I have an S too, and I don't like pulling the extra 1200 lbs ballast up the ramp so i blow it out with a $10.00 air mattress inflator?
Keep it on the boat, and blow the ballast out while I'm getting my car and backing the trailer in the water. Works good.
P.S.
I'm in the market for a tow vehicle too, but very used, limited budget.
My Explorer works pretty good, but the short wheelbase makes it a little squirrelly sometimes.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
...P.S.
I'm in the market for a tow vehicle too, but very used, limited budget.
My Explorer works pretty good, but the short wheelbase makes it a little squirrelly sometimes.
My recommendation is what we have, a 99 Suburban.

The 96 to 99 have the 5.7 vortec engine that is a great engine. That engine and the 4 speed auto will usually go over 250,000 miles without a problem.

We bought a '99 with 140,000 miles for under $4000 and expect it to last for as long as we have the boat. We were getting 11-12 towing the boat with the single axle trailer, but got 10 during the 5000 mile round trip to Florida and we keep accurate mileage records. Without the boat we get 16-17 driving 65, but the Suburban is mainly for hauling the boat.

You can't beat one for a tow vehicle and the 4 wheel dirve will handle about any ramp. If you aren't towing a lot and can find a low mileage '90-95 they are good also, but the vortec engine has a little more torque.

The 2000-2001 on up are also great, but more money and then engine packages have gotten a little more complicated. You can get a new vortec engine from GM with a full warranty for under $2500, but you should never need on.

The Suburban also has tons of inside/lockable storage and we have a mattress for it also and can and have slept in it fine. A great vehicle,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah,

Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

rfrye

Sep 23, 2011
MacGregor 26M Racine, WI
2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 P/U , 2WD with 4.3ltr V-6. No problems. Just finished a 900 mile round trip to Kentucky Lake.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
I tow with a 2002 Explorer Sport Trac, 4.0 v-6, 4x4. The p/u bed gives me room for the ob motor, rudder and more. Plus I can put our personal gear in the back seat area and it is secure inside the vehicle.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
Sometimes it will go behind this, Kenworth T2000 Toter Home and 42' toy hauler

Sometimes it will go behind this, Ford F-550 4X4 with 24.5 semi wheels and 17" lift

The cycle will get me to the slip at the lake, a V8 Corvette engine motorcycle.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Do you have to up or down long grades? Is the trailer single or double axle? I have 76 V-25 single axel trailer. I don't have to go far to Lake Mead. I have towed with v-8 Ford Torino Wagon, V-6 Ford Aerostar Van and v-6 Dodge Ram 250 Van. Blazer should be OK. Going downgrade is a bear if the boat is pushing the car. Check with dealer or Ford on towing limits and specs. Used to know a guy who hauled a Venture 21 around behind his VW Bug. Fair Winds and Full Sails...

Dec 27, 2009
Clipper Mariner - Mac 25 -Bayliner and 4 kayaks 21 Clipper & 25 Macgregor & 19 Bayliner classic Red Rock Lake IA
Our 2000 Blazer does fine. No hills though. 1/2 ton 5.4 Ford does good too. No overdrive on either when towing. : ^) Mark

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Do you have to up or down long grades?......
This is a good point. We have towed all over the west where you can have...

...some really long grades. We came close to hurting the transmission on the long down grade in the picture above up in Canada when we kept it in a lower gear going down, not up, to help keep the brakes from overheating. Only had the single axle and no brakes then. Now with the trailer brakes I think we wouldn't of had a problem of any kind.

With the Suburban we have only been down in 2nd for some short stretches on a couple high mountain passes. From Utah to Florida and back never. We also don't tow in overdrive,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Jun 24, 2010
Macgregor 25 Northeast, MD
Chevy Duramax 2500HD

I tow with my Chevy Duramax 2500HD and you would never know the boat was behind you. I posted the photo of my VW diesel pickup with the boat hooked up to it as a joke a couple months ago but only use it to move the boat around in the yard.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.