What bored sailors do:

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
This is what a trailer sailor locked into 12 hour night shifts, no tow vehicle and no decent weather does:.....Sneak into the wood shop for an hour or so every evening to keep their sanity.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
Ha! That's one of the projects on my winter to-do list. Did you find any profile line drawings for the C-22 or guestimate? I've searched without success.

Dec 5, 2011
Ha! That's one of the projects on my winter to-do list. Did you find any profile line drawings for the C-22 or guestimate? I've searched without success.
I've had the idea floating around in my head for awhile and have been accumulating useful pieces of stuff to go on it but I have no profile drawings. I figured it would be easier to just make a 1/1 scale model since she sits in the back yard and I can get all the measurements I need. I just S.W.A.G.ed everything else. After all, it's just a display model and detailing and painting are more important in my opinion than being accurate to 1/8". (That's Scientific Wild Ass Guess for those who were wondering)

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
SWAG lmao. Might need to borrow that one.

Great looking model. You seem to have a bit of skill with wood working. Can't wait to see how you rig it.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Very cool. Just needs some spars, sails, rigging......and a little green geco :)

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
The one I carved is too amateurish to post, but this was given to me by a poker buddy.

The sailor looks angry for some reason.

Attachments

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Nice work !

Stick a receiver and some servos in it and you won't need a tow vehicle. Sleeping capacity would only be a tiny bit less :)

I don't have a tow vehicle either.. who needs one, when most of the forum members just seem to spend time fixing their boats instead of sailing them ? ;)

Dec 5, 2011
Nice work !

Stick a receiver and some servos in it and you won't need a tow vehicle. Sleeping capacity would only be a tiny bit less :)

I don't have a tow vehicle either.. who needs one, when most of the forum members just seem to spend time fixing their boats instead of sailing them ? ;)

I originally looked for an R/C C22 but never even found a static display model anywhere and I wasn't too interested in the CD half models that they sell so one day I decided to make my own and see how it turns out. And yes, my family jokes that I bought a boat just to putter around with the wood work but hey, it's been a lot of fun and I couldn't be happier or prouder than when she gets a wave or compliment when I'm on the water.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Yeah, Except for their nostalgia value I've never seen the point in half models. I'd much rather have a full one with rigging etc.
I have a large wooden kit of the Cutty Sark. The kit is a bit lacking so I plan to improve it as I go. I went so far as to build my own thickness sander so I could make my own planks for it, but that's about as far as i got. By the time I get to building it, I'll probably not have a place to display it.

I must say, that C22 does look good. Making solid models is something I've always figured took more skill and patience than the average woodworking project.

Now you'll get compliments on both.

hehe... I've got a picture in my head of a C22 anchored in a bay with a little RC C22 zooming around it. Too much work I figure... better to spend time on the big one.

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
I've been thinking of bringing along an electric powered RC seaplane for buzzing around the boat while anchored in a calm cove somewhere. I've already got the kit and the GoPro to make it happen...
Maybe this winter after I get some other projects finished.
I think it would look pretty cool parked on the foredeck.

Jan 18, 2013
Hunter 340 Bayfield Ontario
Model of Spray

Here's a model of the Spray my Dad made. One of my prized possessions from him.

Attachments

Dec 5, 2011
Here's a model of the Spray my Dad made. One of my prized possessions from him.

Awww nice. Hang on to that. I have virtually nothing left of my father but a few memories and black and white pictures.