What bored sailors do: part 2

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Are you going to add rigging? Looks great!
Absolutely!! I have small thermal wire for stays and jewelers thread for running rigging. I just can't figure out how to make small blocks and cleats.....

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I just can't figure out how to make small blocks and cleats.....
You could copy the typical blocks made for models made by Caldercraft, and use walnut to create the shape, then drill a hole so the line goes through.

A nicer option if the scale works out, would be the blocks they make for RC model yachts. They make them totally functional so they are not cheap. last time I looked they were $12 each.
Try sailsetc.com, harbormodels.com, pekabe.com, wetgoose.com midwestmodelyachting.com
(not sure the exact urls but those should be close)

Best option is:
http://www.cap-maquettes.com/contents/en-uk/d1062_maquette_accastillage_voile.html
A french company that makes almost everything you can think of for model yachts. Shackles, Blocks, etc
A friend of mine builds model RC boats and told me about them. Decent prices and great stuff.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There is a publication for stuff like that. I think it's called Model Shipbuilding. Unbelievable detail some of those artisans go to. I'd go crazy. There are also model ship building suppliers.
Here's a link to another bored sailors' winter project:
It's a 13' Radio Controlled model of the aircraft carrier Kitty Hawk. Note that the radome is a repurposed ping pong ball. My friend, who built it, has about 15 RC vessels all of which are functional. And, then there are the aircraft... Winter is rough on him.

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
ok since we are on this thread.
Long ago I almost got into this hobby.
They use bb guns on the boats to sink the competition. I've seen better in person but this was a quick search

And while I was lookin for a video on that I saw this and just had to show ya. unique anyway.

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
I just spent the last 30 min watching R/C wars......

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
hehe they almost had me when it was a big thing like in 1994 give or take. Looks like a lot of work building a boat to be sunk but still would be fun had a lot of rules to go with it obviously or someone would make a metal hull or something hehe.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Here's yet another update on the model progress: As usual, I'm not spending as much time on it as I'd like but progress continues in small steps anyway. So far, I've added the keel cable, all the shroud attachment points, the stem fitting and bow pulpit, soldered up the stern pulpit and modified the stand a little. From watching all the above videos, this sure seems like small change.....but that's just my 22 cents worth.........
DSC_1183.JPG
DSC_1183.JPG

Attachments