West Marine 40% off rope sale on 4/29 only!

Apr 13, 2016
Catalina 22 Fort Worth
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't think this was going to happen until Memorial day. Can anyone give me the rundown on size and length to replace all the running rigging for the 1980 Catalina 22?
I was in the process of researching this but apparently I'm going to have to order tomorrow.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Can anyone give me the rundown on size and length to replace all the running rigging for the 1980 Catalina 22?
It's in the manual. But you have to figure whether or not your halyards are run aft or not. I also think there's a line sizing template on this website in the store under rigging.

You should also compare those WM sale prices with the prices on this very website before you buy. Support SBO!!!

Oct 24, 2011
Hunter Passage 450 Lake Lanier, GA
I am going to replace my jib sheets and traveler sheets. Does anyone have a preference between New England Ropes and Samson? My boat came with Samson, but both are the same price and the clerk at WM said that New England Ropes was better quality? Not sure if I believe that? Any input is appreciated? Also I did check with the store here and the West Marine price with the discount is almost half of the store here.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I couldn't upload the file as a spreadsheet so I did a screen shot as a picture file, I hope this is helpful.
FYI, this info comes from Stingy Sailor's articles about Lines Led Aft & Choosing Color Scheme for Lines.
https://stingysailor.com/2014/05/31/lines-led-aft-2/
All the lengths are for running to the cockpit via deck organizers. If you are cleating off lines at the mast they don't have to be this long. Also, there is a little bit of length added for splicing eyes.
If you use 8mm for all line halyards you will have to change your masthead sheaves to the RF251, see Stingy's article for more details. https://stingysailor.com/2014/05/03/oversize-masthead-sheaves-2/

Attachments

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
well I stopped by WM and got some lines, and I bought some rope too. Just kidding, got a 65 ft length of soft 3/8 as a spare main sheet, my current one is shorter because one or more pos kept chopping off the frayed end instead of hot knifing it. I also got some smaller stuff to replace my aging lifeline. Pretty:dancing: good deal on the main sheet , 51 bucks instead of the 86 + shipping from Cat direct.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I wholeheartedly recommend you join west marine advantage, which will put you on their mailing list and give you some bonus credit for future purchases. It's around 2.5%. They are always having special sales. Last month they were selling Lewmar winches two for one. The rope products are regular sale items that come around every three months or so.

Purchasing bulk rope at an affordable price and building your own halyards, control lines, etc. is not only economical but a truly enjoyable part of good seamanship.

I also hope everyone pays attention to the specials offered through SBO. I purchased a very nice mainsail cover at a super low price through this store that I couldn't be happier with.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I can't seem to let one of these sales to go by without buying at least 100 feet of cordage. Of some type. For some boat.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Purchasing bulk rope at an affordable price and building your own halyards, control lines, etc. is not only economical but a truly enjoyable part of good seamanship.
truer words were never spoken

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I can't seem to let on of these sales to go by without buying at least 100 feet of cordage. Of some type. For some boat.
don't ya just hate that its like they have a magnet attached to your cruising kitty