Weight of a 1987 Catalina 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 24, 2011
Catalina 22 Port Colborne
does anyone know the weight of my 1987 catalina 22 ?

not the displacement
not boat and trailer
not boat and keel (550) lbs

but the total weight of the boat itself. I am buyning trailer tires !

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
3500 lbs.

You need 1750 lb. rated tires or higher to be safe. Going down the highway those tires must carry the weight of the boat, keel, all equipment, personal belongs and the weight of the trailer.

Sep 19, 2010
Catalina 22 home
Also, be certain you're getting TRAILER tires, not small car tires. Trailer tires have stronger sidewalls to handle the side loads from the trailer's constant swaying motion.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
I always wanted to know how much our C-22 MK-II wing keel version weighed. I suspected it was a big on the heavy side. I already had a blow-out with the Load Range-C tires, and even at maximum inflation they seemed low. So I had already upgraded to Load Range-D tires. I stopped off at a truck scale several months ago returning from Havasu and the total weight as the trailer and boat are normally loaded was 4,560 Lbs. After I dropped the boat back into the slip I weighed the trailer and it came in at 1,020 Lbs, doing the math, our boat came in at 3,540 by itself. The rig pulls very nicely with the Load Range-D tires, always nice an cool when I periodically check them while traveling.

An 87 C-22 would be a 2nd generation boat, and historically, they were the heaviest of all the C-22 versions from weights taken several years ago at the C-22 Nationals.

Don

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Yeah, I would want "trailer" tires rated at at least 1800 pounds each. 2000 (or more) wouldnt hurt either.

Status
Not open for further replies.