weather helm ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2005
- - Alexander City
I think I understand the principle of weather helm forward rake of the mast is less, rearward is more? The lake that I sail on seldom has steady winds, usally gusterly. Lately the wind speed has been 10-12 mph with gusts up to 18-20 mph, my boat wants to turn into the wind and it takes considerable pressure on the helm (tiller) to keep from tacking. I have a roller furling genoa, I would like to lessen the pressure it takes to keep the boat on line and not allways trying to turn into the wind. I have checked my mast with a lazer level, it seem to be fairly straight with a little rearward lean. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You Steve

S

Scott flynn

weather helm

Seidelmans in this length range have always had a problem with weather helm. I contracted a local sailmaker familiar with the boat and the design. The solution was to remove the mast, shorten her by 4 1/2 ft, and install an adjustable backstay. It was the only viable outcome which actually worked. I also had the drop keel filled with stainless steel shavings and sand which added about 550 lbs of keel ballast. Seidelmans have hollow drop keels and rudders. Not acceptable to anyone I sail with.!!!! Scott Flynn (Lyrae)

Status
Not open for further replies.