We need more RV's and the general public to

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
We need more RV's and the general public to buy more specialty marine products to hopefully drive competition and more reasonable prices. Recently I have been shopping for a stern rail motor mount for my oddly spaced 1 1/4 inch stern rail. The only one I can find that will work is the Edson which costs $335.10 for a bit of board, a bit of metal, a cleat and some brackets. Now if every RV and every Toyota Corolla rolling down the road would mount an out board on the back of their vehicle my bet is I could then buy it for $29.95 ..... Giving up on that thinking of how to build my own mount - I decided to redo the leather covers on my two Edson wheels. Sounded like a great winter project to do with a beer in my hand while watching Ohio State beat Notre Dame. SOOOO kits turn out to be $255 per wheel. which comes to $510 and that's doing the sewing myself. Huh think I'll buy some parachute cord or again if every RV and Toyota Corolla would step up and wrap their wheel in leather I might be able to get the kits for $9.95 each (plus tax, shipping and handling of course).

Anyway enough about me what marine prices have shocked you the most ?????

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
A 71 cent Canadian dollar.
Was in Quebec City last weekend and handed the bank $300.00US and was handed back $414.00 in Canadian...

So as not to hijack how about a $9.00 Leviton GFCI stuffed into a Marinco "marine" box and sold at $40.00....

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
What amazes me is when I was building custom cabinets every body thought my labor rate was high at $35.00 per hour and thought $10..00 an hour was fair .....my tools,shop,electric,insurance and a man. and you were supposed to drive your truck 160 miles round trip no charge.......as far as boat stuff goes I have bought so much of it now I have learned how decided on weather it is nesasary or if I need it.........a Yettie ice chest comes to mind as over priced.......really $300.00 to keep $4.00 worth of ice.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
What amazes me is when I was building custom cabinets every body thought my labor rate was high at $35.00 per hour and thought $10..00 an hour was fair .....my tools,shop,electric,insurance and a man. and you were supposed to drive your truck 160 miles round trip no charge.......as far as boat stuff goes I have bought so much of it now I have learned how decided on weather it is nesasary or if I need it.........a Yettie ice chest comes to mind as over priced.......really $300.00 to keep $4.00 worth of ice.

As a small business owner how do you make a living on $35.00 an hour.......??? Up here in Maine there is no labor you can find, that is legit labor, (Legit - meaning paying taxes, not paying employees under the table, paying for workmans comp, actually having insurance etc.) for under about $55.00 per hour and even those guys are rare. I was recently quoted $100.00 - $130.00 per hour to paint our house (by legit companies). I suppose I will be doing that myself.......

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Maine I have wonder that my self at times I have Had to do a lot of fixed price/contract work over the time have had to be a complete miser with the overhead and be a Scrooge in this area but mind you that is only in the cabinet business all my other endevors were a little better but I am now out of the cabinet building business and selling off my general woodworking machinery and more than glad to do it two things I would have change doing cabinets is move to a better neighbor hood and got a bigger truck oh and merry Christmas to you and yours

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
As a small business owner how do you make a living on $35.00 an hour.......???
Too true.

Just think of the folks having to deal with the minimum wage which hasn't been increased since the, it seems, Eisenhower era. Those poor folks. Scrooge is, unfortunately, alive and well :rolleyes: with the same old tired economic theories :mad: that haven't worked since they originally invented their excuses. :deadhorse::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Merry Christmas anyway. :):):)

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Anyway enough about me what marine prices have shocked you the most ?????
I think it was when I went looking for an anchor and found you could spend 1K+ on one for a sailboat real easy. apparently a sailboat is much harder to keep in one place than a fishing boat, so I've stowed a couple fishing poles down below ;) .

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
apparently a sailboat is much harder to keep in one place than a fishing boat, so I've stowed a couple fishing poles down below ;) .

Very good, Russ. If you're a fishing boat you can also save $$ BIG TIME because your rode only has to be as long as the distance from your bow to the bottom!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead: Straight up & down rode is all they ever use! :solame: Save $$ on chain, too: don't use any! :)

Last edited:

Mark48

Mar 1, 2008
Hunter 34 Milwaukee
Now you know why people think that those that own sailboats are wealthy. Actually we are creative, constructive and frugal.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
Ok ... I will agree with Anchors and anchor chain especially chain .... Yettie ice chests sold to the general public and way over the top in price I agree can't understand that at all - they might blow my theory on RV's and Corolla's ... mounts and instrument enclosures another great example of - really it costs what!!! ... same goes for anything made by Marinco ... all great examples.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
What is it about marinco and edson that makes them so excessively overpriced?
I think it's that little M for marine that's on everything. Automatically means 50% more

Seriously though many marine products are made with materials that can withstand the harsh environments where corrosion and wear are more pronounced. Much like there are many grades of stainless steel and not all are created equal.

If it helps any I try to never talk about money and boats in the same sentence. It just ruins the whole experience and why would I want to ruin something I love. Rather we use "boat units" and each one is a $1,000. So a purchase or a project can be 1/2 boat unit, 1 boat unit, etc.
See it deceives you and provides the illusion that it's all reasonable. lol.

Put another way, a friends wife was complaining about the cost of the boat and his response was - well we can either pay a therapist for all the counseling I will need for my mental health, or we can spend it on the boat during which we will create family memories. They both voted for the memories over the therapist :)

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I think it's that little M for marine that's on everything. Automatically means 50% more

Seriously though many marine products are made with materials that can withstand the harsh environments where corrosion and wear are more pronounced. Much like there are many grades of stainless steel and not all are created equal.

If it helps any I try to never talk about money and boats in the same sentence. It just ruins the whole experience and why would I want to ruin something I love. Rather we use "boat units" and each one is a $1,000. So a purchase or a project can be 1/2 boat unit, 1 boat unit, etc.
See it deceives you and provides the illusion that it's all reasonable. lol.

Put another way, a friends wife was complaining about the cost of the boat and his response was - well we can either pay a therapist for all the counseling I will need for my mental health, or we can spend it on the boat during which we will create family memories. They both voted for the memories over the therapist :)
Was the therapist good looking

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
99% of corolla clock fails in a few years. Dealer price is $200+.. for a clock? And you can't buy an after market replacement.