We are Back!! (unfortunetly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark Johnson

We just returned from a 3 week voyage aboard our new 460. What a great boat. We had a lot of fun and visited many interesting spots. After the dust settles here at work, I will update those interested in the boat, what works and what doesn't. Mark

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
Waiting

Yes, we need more voyage sagas on this net. Speaking of which, I took my 410 down the coast last month, ran through two gales on the way down and beat into one on the way back. Next time La Nina comes for a visit this kid is staying inside the bay! Was nice to see how BUOYANT, my H410 stood up to the seas, however. Way nice. Also nice to see how Hunter dealt with us breaking our new toys. On the way down we busted the mainsail furling drive, and Hunter had Seldon ship a replacement cross-country in 24 hours, with their LA dealer helping facillitate things even though I'd bought the boat from the SF dealer. Sweet. On the way north, we burnt out the motor on our windlass, and via the Hunter service dept Simpson Lawrence sent me a replacement motor overnight. Kudos to Greg Emerson for greasing the skids with the various Hunter vendors. Also to the Hunter design team for putting together a boat that can handle big seas. We went 48 hours between Pt Sur and Pt Arguello where the wind never dipped below 35 knots, and never once did the boat forget its manners. We had to hot-berth the crew since some of our bunks were unusable in heavy seas, but that tended not to be a problem once exhaustion set in. Only problem was that they closed down our intended landfall in Morro Bay because 18-footers were breaking over the harbor bar. Oh well, who needs sleep? Santa Barbara, here we come... When we finally made it back into SF bay, we went up to the Sacramento/San Joaquin river dealta to hang on the hook in fresh water for a couple of weeks and warm up. Even in 90 degree temperatures the boat stayed cool thanks to all these hatches. Sigh. So now we're home, and we spent yesterday waxing the hull to reward BUOYANT for a job well done.

R

Richard Owen

We're Back Too

We just returned from 3 weeks in the Gulf islands on our new 460 as well. You are right - this is a great boat. Had occasion to sail in wind up to 30 kn. and with 2 of us - no problem. Noticed a few boats turning our way but didn't see any get close. On the wind, we carried full sail (1155 sq. ft. on the standard rig) up to about 22 Kn. Could have gone further but the boat sailed much better with the reef after that. Tried 2 reefs at 30 Kn. which was good. the reefing system works great. The speed instrument was not calibrated so we had only GPS for spped. Pegged over 8Kn. on that into the wind but not too sure about current at that time - too busy sailing. I wouldn't trade that big main for any furling rig. It handles just fine with the electric halyard winch. Our main problem was electrical - Inverter had trouble running the 120V compressor. They are sorting it out now - either inverter or compressor problem. The boat is as comfortable and agile as we expected. Look forward to some comparisons with other known hulls. The Delta anchor supplied by Hunter with the boat is also excellent equipment and the huge anchor well makes chain stowage and retrieval problems a thing of the past. We will probably be adding to the divider to allow for a larger second comartment for the back-up gear. More to come. ROwen,

M

Mark Johnson

Richard O. try this

Richard: We had the same problem with the invertor running the refrigeration. After about two hours the battery panel showed "battery overload" We found that the 2nd house battery really wasn't connected. The crimp on fasteners at each end of the cable were not really crimped. We moved one of the cables and the connector just fell off. We can now run refrigeration 12 to 14 hours between charges. MPJ

Status
Not open for further replies.