waterline to highest point when mast is down

Jun 5, 2017
Macgregor 26X Cincinnati, OH
I'm selling my Mac26X and I have someone interested in purchasing. He sails on a lake and needs to be able to get under a low bridge with the mast down and wants to be sure the mast will clear when down like in the photograph in the MacGregor pamplet by lowering the mast. Does anyone know what the measurement is at the highest point when the mast is down from the water line????

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I wish I could help, but I can't. Was just thinking that you might need to also consider with or without ballast?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Take it to the lake and demonstrate it to the potential buyer.. let him get a feel for lowering the mast.. and he may be completely sold by your eagerness to help him. Otherwise, you can usually get pretty close by looking at the spec numbers.. Mast height is one.. then mast height above waterline. If ya subtract mast height from mast height above waterline, then add the height of the dropped mast and step, ya gonna be really close.
These guys may be able to help: http://www.macgregor26.com/mast_raising/mast_raising.htm
Rough scaling from that picture says 11-12 feet to mast top as shown..

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017
I wish I could help, but I can't. Was just thinking that you might need to also consider with or without ballast?
With ballast full and perhaps some weight of people on board. I know the mast sits on the rest at the pedestal and don't know how high it goes up.... therefore don't really know what to tell this person...

Jun 5, 2017
Thank you for taking time to write. I just thought maybe someone might have known... I suggested him putting in at another location on his lake!
With ballast full and perhaps some weight of people on board. I know the mast sits on the rest at the pedestal and don't know how high it goes up.... therefore don't really know what to tell this person...

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
This may be able to be answer on an OEM boat, but in practice the actual height of the lowered mast is dependent on the storage system modified by the last owner.

I would suspect it also depends on how down the mast is. If they lower it as for road travel it would be one thing. If they just lower the mast to the rear support whild still attached to the mast support it would be something else.

Based on my V-21 I would suspect is is less than 7' above the water when properly in the storage position. When lower to the mast support I believe it is about 9'.

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
From the picture posted of the Mac with mast down going under the bridge, I believe the gin pole is taller than the end of the mast. So the gin pole would be the determinant as to whether they can get under the bridge or not.

Jul 21, 2009
2 26s Point du chene
You can guess, anyway if it is that tight the boat will be different depending on gear and passengers. measure from about 3 inches below the waterline marked on boat at bow to top of pulpit plus width of mast. But that is not the high point, the high point is from waterline to rear rails plus mast width plus about 8 inches for the angle of the mast down. For a real low bridge you can lower, detach slide under rails.

Jun 25, 2016
Venture 21 Minter Bay
You could use a math calculator like this:
http://www.mathwarehouse.com/triangle-calculator/online.php
Knowing the mast length, then measuring the angle the lowered mast makes with the deck using a protractor, would complete the cells. I plugged in angles (90, which is not accurate since a line hanging down from the top end if the mast would bisect the deck line at something less, & estimated 25 degrees for the angle the mast makes with the deck -use 85 & 20 or real measurements...) and a guestimate of mast length of 22 ft. (see photo), getting just over 9.3 ft for the height. (85 & 20, or real #s would be...your homework!) To that you'd add the 'waterline to mast tabernacle' measurement with any adjustments for load.

Does the buyer know the water to bridge clearance?

Good luck!

Attachments

Last edited: