Water Pump pulley wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
I have had this boat for about three and a half years - In the last six months the water pump pulley has twice worn the shaft-hole flat slots off. This turns the shaft hole round making the pulley useless. The pulley then slips on the shaft stopping the water pump. Are there any solution?

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
New Pump?

Maybe. But check with Yanmar. They may have a rebuild kit.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
Priced out new pump

Yes, new is always better - I priced out a new pump and it is around $320. I agree with you there must be a drag or hang up in the pump to "sacrifice" the pulley rather than hurt the pump shaft and other parts. This happend last night and I haven't had a chance to take the pump apart. It does seem to turn fairly easily by hand but there may be an obstruction inside. I was hoping someone could give me a resourse for a stronger pulley than the light steel one that Yanmar sells. In thinking it over the sourse of the problem may infact be the pump instead of the pulley??

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
Fixed with a new washer

I had the same problem with the fresh water pump on my old Yanmar 2QM15. I found that when I replaced the pulley that there was still some play/wiggle when I tightened down the nut that secured the pulley to the shaft. I added a washer or two on the shaft and was able to then snug the nut up tight so that there was no play in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.