Water Pump Addapter for Universal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Dranttel

The freshwater engine driven water pump on my M-25 motor started leaking at the lower weep hole so I figured it was time for a new pump. After getting over the sticker shock I got an orbedorfer pump to replace the sherwood pump since I had heard that it was a better pump. In reading the service manual for the motor as well as in the Catalina archive I was made aware of an adapter that fits on the end of the pump shaft which then plugs into the engine. When I pulled the Sherwood off no adapter. No adapter came with the new pump. The shafts of both pumps look to fit in the engine key. Am I missing a part here or are they making pumps to fit the engine now? A call to depco (the pump people) was not enlightening. By the way the impellor on the old pump was in good shape but in the elbow fitting on the pump I found 6 impellor vanes from an previous one. Does this mean I need to take the heat exchanger apart now? If so how? Tim

D

Dave

Water pump

Good morning Tim: I don't know about the adaptor, but I will comment on the old pump. You can rebuild the old one with a new bearing for just a few bucks. I did mine on a Mk2-12 and the only difficulty was removing the old bearing, but it came off the shaft with a little help from a hammer and a wooden dowl to protect the shaft. On finding the vanes, yes, by all means remove the end caps from the heat exchanger and look for more vanes, you should replace the rubber gasket material from the end cap, but you might get by with the old one. Check it out and see. Not a hard job. Good luck, Dave PS. Parts for repair available from Torresen's.

G

Gordon Torresen

Sea water pump leak

A water or oil leak from the sae water pump weep hole indicates the need for new seals, not a new pump. The pumps are interchangeable, regardless. If you want your old pump rebuilt, to carry as a spare, send it to us. If the shaft isn't worn out, it can probably be rebuilt for less than $100.00, including new seals, impeller and gaskets. The cover plate will be flattened in that price. Depco does pumps. TMI does engine for sailboats, which includes pumps. I am personally one of the penny pinching sailors who tries very hard to do as much as possible for the least cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.