water leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CapN Bill 87

Hi Folks
Has anyone out there figured out how rainwater gets into the cabin under seat lockers???
Even under the winter tarp the starboard side fills up and then in the summer on the mooring it's the port side that's half full after a rainstorm. I've done the obvious removal and rebedding of the windows (frameless) and that didn't help. I double covered the pop-up coach roof this winter thinking that might help but no difference.
Any thoughts from fellow sufferers ??

May 7, 2009
2 Sirius 21 Rideau Ferry, Ontario
Bill - I had the same problem and traced it to the drain from the anchor locker. In my sirius 21 there is a plastic pipe that runs from the bottom corner of the anchor locker to the hull just behind the bow on the starboard side. i found that the connection at the locker was leaking. I replaced the whole tube with a piece of garden hose. It wasn't the right size but I made it fit and used 3M5200 to seal it. So far the seat lockers have been dry.
I don't know about the port starboard bit - mine was only on the starboard side.

George - Whisper Too

Apr 22, 2009
Sirius 21 Binghamton, NY
I am repairing the locker on my new Spindrift 22 with the same problem. (Unfortunately I couldn't find a Sirius nearby.) It appears to be a new hose, but the last idiot sealed it with caulk or something that rubbed off when I washed it!

Do you think that I should remove the hose and get a good seal around the entire connection? Or would it be enough to simple seal the pipe ends?

rwb

Apr 23, 2009
2 Sirius21 North Bay
anchor locker drain

Hi all, yes the anchor locker drain hose can be a major problem with water entry into the cabin. I had replaced the hose shortly after buying my boat but it wasn't till I had read about others having this problem that I investigated further. I my case water had entered the compartment under the V berth. I drilled a small hole in the bulkhead just above the floor and WOW!!!! gallons and gallons of water poured out into the cabin. After it had drained out the section below the V berth I then drilled a larger 3 inch hole above the previous drilled hole and found the foam floatation saturated with water. It took over a year to dry out the foam. I used a fan to circulate air through the compartment.

So mine had been leaking into the boat for some time to have soaked into the flotation foam. Inspect the hose and seal it very well. I have installed an inspection plate over the 3 inch hole so that I may remove from time to time to check for any water ingress.

I am repairing the locker on my new Spindrift 22 with the same problem. (Unfortunately I couldn't find a Sirius nearby.) It appears to be a new hose, but the last idiot sealed it with caulk or something that rubbed off when I washed it!

Do you think that I should remove the hose and get a good seal around the entire connection? Or would it be enough to simple seal the pipe ends?

May 7, 2009
RWB - how about the rear flotation chamber?? My boat seems to be tail heavy and thought that there could be water in the flotation chamber. The only place I can think of a leak lower rudder pintle which is bolted to the transom. I tried tightening those soon after I bought the boat but the bolts rotated and of course the nuts are not accessible as I think they are onside the flotation chamber. Have you had any experience of this?

George

rwb

Apr 23, 2009
2 Sirius21 North Bay
water entry

Hi George, your question about water in the rear flotation chamber. I am not aware that we have water problems back aft. If you suspect such, drill a small hole in the rear bulkheads in the port berth and the locker on the starboard side "above the floor". I have not done so in these areas, but may just to be curious. If you suspect the lower pintle as a source, dry the area really well and seal the plate and bolt heads with a good sealant. If there is water in the floatation, boy I'm not sure how to dry out. Maybe someone reading this has more info. Maybe if water is present then you can drill as I did to attempt to dry the area. Also inspect the cockpit drain in the stern and the tubing that runs to the drains in the cockpit.

Good luck and be carefull when you drill.

RWB - how about the rear flotation chamber?? My boat seems to be tail heavy and thought that there could be water in the flotation chamber. The only place I can think of a leak lower rudder pintle which is bolted to the transom. I tried tightening those soon after I bought the boat but the bolts rotated and of course the nuts are not accessible as I think they are onside the flotation chamber. Have you had any experience of this?

George

May 7, 2009
rear flotation chamber

RWB - I have the holes in the port and starboard lockers as you suggested and I can feel the foam through the port one. I've never seen water there on my boat but I have in others. Also a couple of boats that we inspected last year had large holes in the seat of the starboard locker next to the wire rope that raises the keel. The one in the picture has had a nice hatch installed but inside the hole goes down through the foam to the hull. So apparently sometimes there must have been water there.

The owners of this boat said that they get water here only when they are motoring. Needless to say, although otherwise this was a nice boat, we did not buy it.

George

Attachments

May 7, 2009
rear flotation

Finally drilled through the rear bulkhead of the rear flotation chamber at the rear of the quarter bunk and no water!! In thinking about this the boat I mentioned below that did get water here only seemed to get it when the boat was motoring. I've seen another few messages re the transom sinking in the water when motoring and my boat does the same - this usually puts the lower pintle/gudgeon pin under the water which is the only place water could get into the rear flotation chamber. I've sealed mine up from the outside.

George

RWB - I have the holes in the port and starboard lockers as you suggested and I can feel the foam through the port one. I've never seen water there on my boat but I have in others. Also a couple of boats that we inspected last year had large holes in the seat of the starboard locker next to the wire rope that raises the keel. The one in the picture has had a nice hatch installed but inside the hole goes down through the foam to the hull. So apparently sometimes there must have been water there.

The owners of this boat said that they get water here only when they are motoring. Needless to say, although otherwise this was a nice boat, we did not buy it.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.