Water in the Frig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2011
Catalina 36 mkII Green Turtle Bay, KY
I'm buying a 2001 Catalina 36 which has been continuously in its slip. The boat has not been used for some time. Over a period of 2 days about 2+ inches of water was pumped 3 times from the bottom of the frig. There is evidence of a water line well above that water level. The amount is too great for condensation. Where could the water be coming from? Has anyone experienced this problem?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Many folks have experienced this issue. Congrats on your new boat, know you'll love it. There are lots of great reasons to hang out on this 'board, and since you have a C36 it would be helpful to you to get to know these guys, too: www.c36ia.org

They'll probably have a previous post or a fix-it article about just your issue.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
We have had a similar issue and maybe this will help.
There is a drain hose that goes from fridge/icebox to sink drain. it is low to that drain and we have found that if we turn water at the galley sink before we open the thru hull at the sink,or even fill the sink very much, the water will drain into the hose going to the icebox. (we are good about opening the thru hull first now) The water that sits in that hose gets very rank and though we can pump it out with the floor foot pump provided for that situation, it does notcompletely eliminate it or fix our problem of the smell in that line. Our solution (still temporary) was to plug the fridge box and since ours really is not a fridge at all, just an icebox, we have a great soft sided/ with inner hard plastic liner cooler that fits just perfectly and has a top opening for easy access. We now have no water issues; everything stays cold and dry at same time.
The fix is coming: we are going to cap that hose at the sink and at the fridge so we have no chance of stagnant water in a hose.
If this is at all similar to your issue, at least it might give you a starting point. It took us a few months to figure out why everything was getting wet as you described. Good luck to you...... please post your fix when you have one. :)

Jun 16, 2011
Catalina 36 mkII Green Turtle Bay, KY
Your note sheds light on my possible problem. Thank you for responding. It could be that I did not use the foot pump enough to clear the water out of the line. Water may have back flowed into the frig. We did run considerable water into the sink, but did not see any flow to the frig. I'm wondering if a check valve would be helpful. Interestingly the PO said he was not aware of this problem.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
..nor did our PO mention this but no doubt it had happened to them...... there were LOTS of things we had to discover about our boat that had been going on for a long time... oh well, this way we have learned so much about our boat........ all the little funny quirky things that make us love her and know her better.

I will post our fix once we make it permanently, but we have no issues now, except I know there is bad water lurking in that hose! I really want to deal with that once and for all! Glad that was helpful, enjoy your new boat, it soulds great.

Oct 8, 2008
catalina 36 Whitehall
What you will find is that you have a check valve that has something in it preventing it from sealing back up. It can be taken apart by 4 screws and cleaned. Just follow the hose from th foot pump.

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
I replace the cheap factory backflow preventor with a nice brass one. Also added extra hose to get the loop higher above the water line!

Status
Not open for further replies.