Water in Cabin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2010
Lancer 28 ATX
So getting water in the cabin can happen tons of different ways but as I was walking inside the cabin of my boat, which is on a trailer, I notice that I could literally hear water being tossed around. I located it to being in the center of my cabin located under the port side storage compartment in which the bed extension sits on. I thought it was the accumulation of the water soaking the wood under the carpet in the center isle/keel but after pulling up the carpet directly at the lowest part of the isle I notice that the wood was completely dry. Is it possible to get water between the actual hull of the boat and compartments that make up the structure of the interior? If so can you drain the water?

There is no accumulation of water in the bow under the bulk heads/forward bed, the bildge hole is empty and the compartments that are located under the seats in the actually main cabin do show water run off due to an open hole I had when it rained just nothing pooling.

To jump up and down inside my boat and hear water literal being squeezed and tossed under my feet concerns me that I might have a major problem. Has anyone every heard of this?

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
I have a 79 L25 and cut a 6" port hole into the "step" just forward of the compression post. I found a small amount of water in this void and have since primed and painted this space and intend to use it for wine and food storage.

Jun 8, 2010
Lancer 28 ATX
awesome, I was hoping it would be that easy. I take it surveying the best site for this hole which would drain good and be a good wine and food storage would be optimal? thanks

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
I cut my hole at the top and used a clear port so I can shine a light into the space and see what's going on.

Sep 27, 2010
Lancer 28 Ventura, CA
I have a lancer 28 1982 shallow draft. The ballast in my boat was steel pellets with fiber glass poured on top. Water got between the inter cabin casting and the ballast cast in the hull. The steel pellets swelled and buckled the fiber glass cabin floor. I cut open the cabin floor and replaced the steel with lead. There is a space between the inter cabin casting and the hull. The water you hear may be in this space. If this is where the water is you should tilt the boat up by the bow. The water should run to the bilge below the steps.

Jun 8, 2010
Lancer 28 ATX
Sidney,

Concerning your "shallow draft" I believe my boat has the same set up. The Keel is part of the boat making it a Vtype looking hull with about 2ft of draft below water line. After doing some research and trial and error I located the water to be exactly under the fiberglass floor and Keel/Casting of the hull? Ne ways, I cut a hole 2 inches down right in the center of my floor, then drilled a small hole once I couldn't go any further down. I located the lead/steel or whatever the keel was originally made of cuz it was literally impossible to drill any further. I noticed once I sucked up all the water the noise that I was hearing was gone.

I haven't had any issues with buckling of the floor and hopefully wont have to but I wanted to ask. Do you have any pictures of your floor tore up and cleaned up before you installed the new steel?

If you notice the pictures, I actually cut one hole straight through the boat, ****! fixed it though,

then cut another hole forward to see if the water was there

Finally I cut a hole right in the middle of the dang floor, about inch down and noticed this was where the water was trapped.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.