Water in Bilge Area

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Attached are the close up pics.
that's it-- your bolt has definitely been repaired -- all that smooth yellowing is cloth and epoxy after the fact... see what happens and worst case you could lose the hole alltogether if you so choose. hopefully the putty will work ... toss all the crap I said before, those lines are the epoxy repair not rust stains :)

Jun 14, 2020
Catalina 22 Hudson River
Hi all,
I used putty to close up the hole and am still getting water. Chalk trick didn't work because once the boat pitched during a tack, the water sloshes around that compartment. I need to watch it and let someone else sail, but alas that would require another sailor... I will try again this weekend.
Just a thought: that bilge pump runs all the way out to the stern. Does anyone think the water can be coming in that way? It's above the water line.

I am also having trouble with the wiring now, so the bilge doesn't always turn on. The spiderweb of wires in there might need to be rewired. I may have to start another post on that...Thanks, all.

Andrew

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
If it were me, I'd wire the bilge pump directly to the battery, as many do, then it will always work & you're not relying on whatever "wiring problems" you may have. There is no real "bilge" in a C22, so where is all this water collecting?

If it's all about the lockdown bolt, clean that up and repair that area properly (glass/epoxy), not sure what "putty" you're using but it is obviously ineffective, as you say. And, depending on which side of the lockdown bolt debate you are on, one option is to remove it altogether and glass it in.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
I agree plug the hole properly or use the heavy grease on the keel bolt method. Then watch for problems. If you have a bilge pump and the outlet pipe is not looped up in the middle you will siphon back on a heavy list from a tack on the thru hole side. Always wire bilge pump directly to battery if it has a float switch.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
And to your point-- it sounds like you may have a fair amount of influx -- perhaps easily visible if you could get a passenger to help you cell phone video live and in concert?

Seems like it might reveal itself pretty quickly if you can set it up

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Sounds like a leak I chased for a long time. I fixed everything I could think of, including deck repairs, glassing the keel lock bolt, new rub rail, etc. The leak was getting worse, started with about a gallon a day then to 5 gals. I only keep it in the water for a couple of days at time but it was bugging me. One day I grabbed my mask and fins and drove the bottom. I found a crack in my keel trunk. Turns out it's common, mentioned in the top 10 leaks in the C22 natl tech manual. I out it up on stands and fixed it. I made a PowerPoint presentation for my local C22 sailing club, Fleet 4. I might have some pics on this site. I'll check. Can I upload a PowerPoint? If not, PM me and I'll email it to anyone interested. Kevin

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Sounds like a leak I chased for a long time. I fixed everything I could think of, including deck repairs, glassing the keel lock bolt, new rub rail, etc. The leak was getting worse, started with about a gallon a day then to 5 gals. I only keep it in the water for a couple of days at time but it was bugging me. One day I grabbed my mask and fins and drove the bottom. I found a crack in my keel trunk. Turns out it's common, mentioned in the top 10 leaks in the C22 natl tech manual. I out it up on stands and fixed it. I made a PowerPoint presentation for my local C22 sailing club, Fleet 4. I might have some pics on this site. I'll check. Can I upload a PowerPoint? If not, PM me and I'll email it to anyone interested. Kevin
Search "Dry Boat". It has a couple of pics.

Jun 14, 2020
Catalina 22 Hudson River
I tried again this weekend and the plumbers putty only slowed it down. I was really in calm water too, so not sure if that's a real "fix" yet. I would love to see the work you did and will copy. Thanks! I am pretty sure you can upload here, but I will send you my email as well.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
try compressing it into a zip file and send it to him direct attached to email.