Water in Bilge Area

Jun 14, 2020
Catalina 22 Hudson River
I have a new to me 1977 Catalina 22 that is dry docked. The former owner was clear that it's a great boat, but the bilge pump is needed. I can't tell where the leak is coming from to begin a repair. I think it's too much water to be the keel lock, but I don't know. Any ideas on how to find the leak source?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I'd start by narrowing it down:

Does water still collect when there's been no rain?

Does it leak while just sitting still at the dock, or does it only leak under sail?

How much water are we talking about, in how much time?

Keel bolts can leak a good bit. Have you stuck your head in the locker to get a look/pic of any water stains around the bolt?

Jun 14, 2020
Catalina 22 Hudson River
When it's on the trailer, there is no water at all. I left it in the water overnight and had about a gallon of water there. With the bilge pump it drains within a minute or so.

I have stuck my head in, but can't tell where the leak is coming from. I felt around while it was in the water, and it felt dry where the bolts would be.

I'm not sure how to send pictures in this forum. I guess I can send a link to a Google drive, right?

Sep 30, 2013
You can post pics by just clicking the little "photo" icon above the text you are typing (right between the video button and the link button) and drag your photo into the popup box.

Unfortunately, I don't think the keel bolt is the problem. Pretty sure it is above the waterline, so it should not leak while the boat is just sitting on the water. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Take a piece of blue or purple sidewalk chalk and draw a line across the inside surface of the keel bolt compartment halfway up front to back, do the same on the outboard side of compartment (inside of hull ) same way. Watch and see if water interrupts the chalk with streaks. Reason for this is most leaks are in two places, keel bolt or the rubrail area on either side. If you mean in the bilge as where the volcano and swing keel tube are you could also be getting it from the rubrail on either side (same chalk trick) or from the rudder mounting bolts ( check in cockpit lazarettes either side for water standing in stern inside. BTW the keel bolt hole is above water but leaks can still occur when you move the boat thru the water or water moves thru the boat !

• Helpful
Jun 14, 2020
Catalina 22 Hudson River
I really appreciate you trying to troubleshoot with me. I attached a bunch of pics that I took today. I always thought the keel bolt was "outside" the hull and that the only access point for water was the cable point through the volcano. I am trying to find a good diagram, but can't seem to find a good one. The first pic shows the foam core, right? So even though there is a crack, that wouldn't affect anything.

Is the set screw for the keel visible from the forward bench?

Can you take a picture of yours?
20200614_153353.jpg
20200614_153349.jpg20200614_153353.jpg20200614_153357.jpg20200614_153415.jpg20200614_153426.jpg

Jun 14, 2020
Catalina 22 Hudson River
The keel bolt is the one that locks the keel in place and is above the water line, right? AKA set screw? Is it possible that I am getting that much water in the boat from there? It seems like a lot of water for such a small hole above the water line. If it is from there, how do I limit the amount of water getting in?

What do we call the solid brass bolt that holds the entire swing keel on the boat? I think it's not visible from inside the boat, right? I believe that's below the water line, but can't leak into the hull unless the fiberglass is REALLY cracked. Right?

Just to clarify, yes, I am getting most of the pooled water under the forward bench, port side. I thought that was the called the bilge area. I am getting some water by the volcano, but not nearly as much.

Thank you!

KCofKC

Sep 6, 2010
Catalina 28TR MKI 317 Smithville
Pull the boat and leave the water in the bilge, disconnect the pump if need be, the water will leak out and you will know where it is getting into it at.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Big time guess here -- but looking at the pics and comparing them to what I would expect as the factory finish in that area: It looks to me that someone prior has attempted an epoxy fix to some degree. Marked up a pic-- some of the gloss is clearly water/ moisture-- but the blue outline looks to me like an attempted repair.

The other pics are bit too close to see-- I would be a bit concerned about what appears to be cracking/ gaps in the area. Other side of this repair is water-- but that doesn't mean it's the only source. Something to look at closely with your chalk.

Inked20200614_153426_LI.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Most cat 22s do not leak from the forward dinetted compartment into the bilge directly, so if water is mostly there it probably is from the keel bolt, or hull side from the rubrail and maybe from the possible repair marked up my pclarksurf. do the chalk trick around all to see which of them (or all OMG) it is.

Sep 11, 2013
Catalina 25 6106 Lake Erie Metro Park
I had the same leak on my Cat22. The keel bolt only leaked when heeled to port. A little plumbers putty around the bolt was all it took.

Jul 13, 2015
sent you a request for access-- happy to look.

P.S: never never never ever (did I say never?) use silicone based caulks on your boat. (Extremely Rare exceptions but just say no :) ) Plenty of outstanding fit for purpose marine sealants once you decide what to do where.

Jul 13, 2015
Perfect Vid that helps-- get me another shot of the keel locking pin in a still photo -- back up a bit, no need for a close up -- I've included a snip from your video with things I'd like to be able to zoom in on with my computer. Red is definitely water and iron based leftovers. The locking pin can very well be that source.

As horrified as I am by the gap in the upper reaches of the keel slot (a common place for sloppy layup ) that appears bone dry and factory surface (whitish grey , no intrusion or water settling there.

See if you can snap a couple of high (or higher) resolution pics of that area-- this is a cool mystery.

You should (my opinion .. others should chime in as well) prepare the upper gap for some fiberglass tape/mat and bond and enclose that area-- but highly unlikely that's your water source.

Blue lines appear to be level lines-- where water has either rested for long durations or at least traveled. Some indications of vertical creep down, and another level line (which would make more sense) below the pin. Some vertical indication of downward creep. I'd love to see above and to either side of this view for more detail.

locking pin.PNG

Just Caught this -- definitely a continuous level line that works across the compartment (that was confusing originally-- how could you have a line on the right compartment and not the left?) Going out on a limb-- at one point your boat was nose in the air with this compartment full of iron rich water (pin and keel involved for the rust? ), probably a couple of times or at least multiple levels.

Would like to see why so much stain above-- but my nose in the air theory could explain it.

Short answer might be pull the pin (I never use it -- there's an argument here you should educate yourself about) and glass it over and you are good to go.

second shot.PNG

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
The keel bolt is the one that locks the keel in place and is above the water line, right? AKA set screw? Is it possible that I am getting that much water in the boat from there? It seems like a lot of water for such a small hole above the water line. If it is from there, how do I limit the amount of water getting in?

Yes, that's the keel bolt. I do believe it is above the waterline. I'm going to be surprised (but happy for you, as it's an easy fix) if that's your leak.

What do we call the solid brass bolt that holds the entire swing keel on the boat? I think it's not visible from inside the boat, right? I believe that's below the water line, but can't leak into the hull unless the fiberglass is REALLY cracked. Right?

"Keel pin". Right. And right.

Just to clarify, yes, I am getting most of the pooled water under the forward bench, port side. I thought that was the called the bilge area. I am getting some water by the volcano, but not nearly as much.

@pclarksurf might be onto something in post #11. Looks like someone MAY have slopped some resin in that lower aft corner, presumably in an attempt to stop a leak.

Thank you!

If she's taking on a gallon overnight, that is a leak you could WATCH happening. I'd say dry her out, launch her, and sit on board drinking beer until the leak is found. I bet you'll still be sober when you find it. Then, if it's something bad, you can just keep drinking until it seems minor. :thumbup:

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Gene nailed it once again....screw the chalk thing (although prudent), and bottoms up...best solution yet, shouldn't take more than a 6 pack! Cheers!!!

Jun 14, 2020
Catalina 22 Hudson River
I promise that I heard you about the silicon. Never. You guys are quite helpful to this want-to-be sailor.

Looking at this video, I realize that I may have had the bolt fully open during my sail. I am going to try the putty and chalk trick and get back to you.

Attached are the close up pics.

20200616_164755.mp4

Attachments

• Helpful