water coming in from hole under steps in galley

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dottie Cox

Can anyone tell me why water keeps coming in the hole under the steps in the galley? I have to take the carpet up and let it dry out. Is this suppose to happen and where is the water coming in ? Thanks to anyone who can advise. We have only had our boat a couple of months, it is a 2001 26X.

M

Mike

Placed there by the factory

I believe that you have a hole in the location you are describing placed there by the factory as an overflow for your bilge? I remember reading about this somewhere in regard to the 26x. It said something about we thought it was better to have water coming onto the floor warning the user than letting a dangerous situation develop.

T

Terry Tyson

Have you checked your bilge?

In later model 26X's, the factory drilled an overflow hole that acts as a warning when your bilge fills up. If that is what has happened, after you pump and dry it out, you will want to look for the source of the water. Hope this helps. Terry Tyson http://www.sailingforever.addr.com

K

Kevin Barry

Water

Hi, I have a 26x 2001 model also. The hole is there to warn you that you have water in the bilge. The source of that water however, can be most anything. You might be getting water from the ballast plug if it's not secure, through any of the deck fittings, including the bow eye, engine mounts, etc. etc. You need to get the boat absolutely dry if possible and then examine each spot by running a hose over it while someone inside watches for leaks. Another way is to sprinkle talc powder around the fittings and then check for the telltale signs of water. Mine actually turned out to be form the ballast plug. I frequently drain the ballast under power. I stop the boat, go forward to remove the stopper, and pop the transom valve. In any king of chop or waves, I think the water is spurting out of the vent hole and running down the bilges. Good luck...it's a tedious process but you can isolate the leak. Kevin Rye, NH

Status
Not open for further replies.