Water Ballast II

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hank Bartosik

Mike: What happens is that prior to launching we customarily raise the mast. This ties up the launch area for about one hour, including launching. To get into the Lake George at the launch site we want to use, we assured them that we didn't need to utilize their parting lot but needed ten minutes at the dock to take in water for the ballast. Usually there is dock space, but we've been lucky, because there is often much traffic for gassing up, for purchasing supplies, for rest room usage, etc, and I wanted to be certain that I wouldn't be risking a tip over or a swamp if I motored without the water ballast. At the motel dock we then raise the mast. On our return next season, I intend to pump out most of the ballast so that I don't spend time in the parking lot as the water drains, and then get mixed "reviews" from others as the water cascades down the parking lot and ramp!! Have you motored with out the water ballast in a non 26X??

M

Mark A.

5 Minutes at the dock

Where do you park you car and trailer after you launch? If you can park it, then rig it right there, then drive to the ramps. Unless there are obstuctions from the lot to the ramps. I fully rig the boat in the lot. It takes about 20 min.. Then drive to the ramps, back it in, tie up, park the car. When I get back in the boat I open the ballast valves and drop the dagger board. It takes about 10 min to fill. Plenty of time to start the outboard and pull away. Unless you get hit by a 20 foot wave, I can't imagine you swamping. When the ballast fills, close the valve and you are ready to hoist the sails.

H

Hank Bartosik

Reply to reply WATER BALLAST II

Most of the launching places permit exactly what you describe, but the spot that I am using at Lake George, NY has very limited space, and in fact my Mac trailer is longer than the others parked on their lot and grass. After I set the Mac in the water, I drive the car and trailer back to the motel area, drop off the trailer and then get a lift back to the launch area! So I then motor back to the motel's dock where everyone is surprised that a 26ft sail boat can move into two feet of water! There we raise the mast! There we also lower the mast when we are getting set to return home after the two weeks at the lake. I will utilize me electic pump to pump out the ballast tank as we motor back to the launch area next season. The motor trip is about twenty minutes and probably will remove most of the ballast water by the time we arrive. The water there is quite calm even when a strong wind crosses the open water since it is located in a small bay - a natural jetty of small islands. Hank

C

Curtiss Grant

Running without water

It sounds like you have quite an exercise to sail. Based on your routine, I need to 'keep my mouth shut'. If the wind is light, I will occassionally motor "without water" (in the ballast of course) about 2 miles from my marina to the bay where I sail. Again, if the wind is light, I have also sailed without water in the ballast. However, once I determine the wind is sufficient, I will then fill the ballast. I have not had any situations while motoring, the boat just pops around a lot when a big power boat runs by. I have not sailed a lot without water but under the conditions you describe, it should work okay. Good Luck

H

Hank Bartosik

Sounds like there are no serious problems to expect for a lightened cruise without the water ballast in calm waters, especially with the mast unmounted. I was looking for assurances that others have not had serious problems without the water ballast. It seems a lot of extra mass to push around by a tiny 9.9 Hp OB! 1,200 lbs is a lot of mass (inertia) to haul around in water. Thanks Hank

J

JB

Sail W/O water????

With the mast UP and ballast full, Mac says it takes only 120lbs on the end of the mast to keep the boat pulled over 90 degrees (26' lever arm) W/O 1200lbs of water I'm sure that figure is negligible -- so I would never suggest sailing w/o water - motoring, mast down, battery(s)installed, drinking water tank full, ice chests and other gear stowed in the cabin (probably several hundred pounds of gear stowed low in the cabin) -- you should be OK under almost any conditions -

Status
Not open for further replies.