Walker Bay Dinghy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Craig

I need to buy a dinghy to get from our dock to the mooring ball. We might occasionally use it to tow and putter around from our house to my wifes sisters house. This whole thing will be rather limited. I thought the walker bay would be ok because of its durability. It will sit by the dock, in the water and sometimes dragged up on shore. I would like to put a 5hp or less on it too. Anyone used this dinghy care to give me a reference. They increased the price from 699 to 999 on design changes. This would be the walker bay 10. thanks. craig

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
One Other, Craig

We have used a Leisurelife 9.5' dinghy for years. It has a tri-hull that makes it easier to get on and off since there is more bouyancy at the bow. Same material. About $450 at WM. However, it won't sail.

D

Debo Cox

For my money...

I agree with Rick. For my money, the Watertender 9.5 from West Marine is a better choice (unless of course you want to sail it). I have one that I've used for ferrying back and forth to the mooring as you're describing, and it's MUCH more stable while you're loading and unloading gear into your boat. Personally I don't understand the fascination most people have with the Walker Bay boats - especially when there's a better choice. Cheers

G

Gary A.

Hunter Liberty

Hunter now makes a very serious competitor to the Walker Bay 10'. The introductory price is $995. The boat is self-bailing with built-in flotation. There is an optional sailing kit that will soon be available. The sail kit will include a kick-up rudder AND a kick-up centerboard (as opposed to the daggerboard on the Walker Bay). I recently had a chance to see one of these and I think it is an awesome dinghy. Gary

T

Ted

I have a Walker Bay.

The boat is ok for short rides. It is not vary stable. I run a 4 hp on mine. My wife and I use it to get to the shore and back when we are on trips. We also use it to fish from, but we never venture far from the boat. I wouldn't want to go joy riding around in it or sight seeing. Being plastic it can take a licking and we dont worry about running over anything when we come ashore. If I had to do over again I would buy an inflatable. I found several used ones for about what I paid for the Walker. Ted

C

Craig

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the help. I will open up to the west marine dinghy. I have no bonding relationship with walker bay and the 500 price is better for what my needs will be. sounds like it is a more stable boat. thanks for the opinions. craig rick what hp can i go up to?

K

Ken Lewis

Walker Bay, ???

We have seen Walker Bays in use in harbor, just as you intend. They do not have much spare freeboard when carrying 2 adults, and cannot carry 4. IMHO I wouldn't do it. Even the new 10' models would be sketchy. Why not go the extra distance and get an AVON for about $1200 more. The inflatable is a lot more flexible and we have used ours in windy conditions with chop in the harbor. While it may be a slightly we ride, you'd never make it in a Walker Bay. Not recommended as a general purpose dinghy to support cruising.

P

Pat Spino

Walker Bay.....

Ask a question about dinghies and everybody has a different opinion. Ultimate selection is based on many factors, not the least of which is individual preferences. Here are some comparative thoughts between the Walker Bay and the Water Tender. I would also check your pricing; $999.00 (for the 10' W.B.)is a bit higher then the West marine Price, unless there is recent big jump in prices. The Walker Bay 8' and 10' boats are quite nice for their intended use - in very protected waters. They are not rated for a 5HP motor. The 8' being rated for a 2HP and the 10' for a 4HP I believe. The carrying capacity of noth the W.B. and the Water Tender is very limited and freeboard quite low on the W.B. when loaded. The W.B. stability is better then a lot of hard dinghies but the Water Tender is much more stable. Both are available at West Marine, are "unsinkable", competitively priced (except for the sail kit), and both are quite rugged. The Walker Bay comes with oars while the Water Tender does not. The new Hunter hard dinghy, which someone mentioned, is quite a nice looking and seemingly easily rowed dink, however, I believe it is made of fiberglass and is heavier and subject to the maintenance involved. The Walker Bay and Water Tender are plastic and require little upkeep. If I were going to choose, keeping in mind your stated intended use and the fact that I decided on a West Marine 9.5 foot inflatable, I would tend toward the Water Tender, unless you really wanted the sail kit; which, by the way, is priced at about the same cost as the boat. Hope this helps, Pat

C

Craig

dinky

The new price on a walker bay 10 is 999 up from 699 last yr. they made some changes. after the comments here, i want to check out the water tender at west marine. i have been in a couple of of other model 8 footers and they are just alittle tippy. i hope the water tender being square up front might help this. i would like to put a 5hp on it. thanks for the comments. walker bay for my needs has fallen a few notches. craig

Status
Not open for further replies.