Video, Flipping a C22 hull

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I can't believe the bow eye is that strong. I can see my prow bulge forward with very little effort on the winch.

Brass balls indeed!! :worship:

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
How much does a stripped out C22 hull weigh ? 1500 lbs ?
How did you secure the rear engine crane ? Attach it to the rear garage wall ?

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
OMG!
I cant believe you were able to hold her from pulling you over once the roll started. Is there no ballast glassed into the bottom? What a cool video. Nice paint job, by the way. I love the color.

So, what exactly did you edit out? Was it something like :mad:@^&#$^%&:soapbox:&$#&*#@:banghead:@&$%#%^:thumbup:?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Awesome job!! Proof it can be done.....by two people.....in a confined space. Wow!!

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
That was cool. I would have liked to have tried that when painting my 170.

A chill went up my spine everytime he went under the load.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
climbing bolt.png
How much does a stripped out C22 hull weigh ? 1500 lbs ?
How did you secure the rear engine crane ? Attach it to the rear garage wall ?
Yeah, I estimate without the keel there is only about 1400 to 1600 pounds there.
I used to be a Rock Climber, very familiar with different types of hard attachment points bolted into rock called 'bolt hangers'. I made some similar ones out of 1/4" thick stainless and they are concrete bolted to a ledge that surrounds the floor of my garage. I have a total of four, 2 in the back and one on either side of the rear bay. I strapped the rear engine hoist down with same heavy nylon tow straps that are shown in the video attached to my truck tow hooks.

Sep 8, 2014
That was cool. I would have liked to have tried that when painting my 170.

A chill went up my spine everytime he went under the load.
I was very confident in the ability of the hoists to hold the load safely. The spectra loops used are rated for about 10 times the static load they were under. Of course, If I had more room I wouldn't have had to shimmy underneath to get around to the stands. I was really nice being able to work inside, although very cramped.

Sep 8, 2014
OMG!
I cant believe you were able to hold her from pulling you over once the roll started. Is there no ballast glassed into the bottom? What a cool video. Nice paint job, by the way. I love the color.

So, what exactly did you edit out? Was it something like :mad:@^&#$^%&:soapbox:&$#&*#@:banghead:@&$%#%^:thumbup:?

-Will (Dragonfly)
There is no fixed ballast on the C22 swing keel. Once the keel is unbolted, pop top and all hatch covers removed all you have left is the fiberglass hull, hull liner, and deck.
The only thing I edited out were long periods of spinning the adjusters on the stands and general fussing with the placement. All together it only took about 10 minutes to do the flip and set the stands, edited down to the 3 and a half minute video.
Set up time is a little longer. I spent a good 2 hours setting up the hoists and making sure they were secured, staging the jack stands, and testing everything I could for weak points. Overall, this is pretty simple to do and pretty safe as long as the hoists are secured properly.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
The bow eye seems plenty strong, but using the one rudder grunion on the rear would really pucker me up ;)

Sep 8, 2014
The bow eye seems plenty strong, but using the one rudder grunion on the rear would really pucker me up ;)
Yes, the old ones are very weak. I have the 'improved' gudgeons from Catalina Direct.... BUT, I didn't actually use those. I made a temporary, but stronger fitting using 1/4" thick cold-rolled steel flat bar. I drilled the hole pattern using the old gudgeon as a template but increased the bolt size to 5/16". I welded on a thick tang on centerline and then bolted it to the transom with big backing plate. FYI, I eventually over-drilled the holes on my new gudgeons to 5/16" and used that size bolts for the final install. I do thick that the improved CD gudgeons would be strong enough to do this job, using a spectra loop instead of a chain prevents any damage or point-loading.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Yes, the old ones are very weak. I have the 'improved' gudgeons from Catalina Direct.... BUT, I didn't actually use those. I made a temporary, but stronger fitting using 1/4" thick cold-rolled steel flat bar. I drilled the hole pattern using the old gudgeon as a template but increased the bolt size to 5/16". I welded on a thick tang on centerline and then bolted it to the transom with big backing plate. FYI, I eventually over-drilled the holes on my new gudgeons to 5/16" and used that size bolts for the final install. I do thick that the improved CD gudgeons would be strong enough to do this job, using a spectra loop instead of a chain prevents any damage or point-loading.
Awww. well that would reduce the pucker somewhat ;)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I made some similar ones out of 1/4" thick stainless and they are concrete bolted to a ledge that surrounds the floor of my garage. I have a total of four, 2 in the back and one on either side of the rear bay.
Nice idea ! I have wanted to have some attachment points ever since my buddy installed chains in his floor for doing vintage auto restoration work. He installed plates before the floor was poured and attached short chains to them, which normally sit in small recesses. The bolt anchors you used have would be a great alternative for existing floors. :) Not as strong as the embedded plates, but still workable I figure. Especially when the load is not straight outwards. Hmm...

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Wow, thank you for the inspiration!!! I am pretty much a carbon copy process of what you have done to your boat hull and am at the final stages of the hull painting and have been agonising on how to turn the hull back upright without the whole wooden contraption I previously made.

It looks and you have proved that it is very do-able! Obviously safety and planning goes into the plan but the actual turning is way easier than I expected... well done so far on your boat... you're way ahead of me regarding deck and fitting out.