Venture 23 - Rigging Help

Jun 9, 2019
MacGregor Venture 23 Boston
Hi all,

I am going to be taking my boat for her first sail this weekend, and I am having some issues with the rigging.

The dual jibs are all good and I have the main halyard all set, but I can't figure out what to do with the main sheet. I also am not sure what/where the boom vang should go, and whether I have a traveler...

I've tried looking online for rigging guidelines but am coming up short. Any advice or photos of a fully rigged mainsail would be super helpful. Thanks in advance!

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Not sure what you mean about the main sheet. Most older Mac's use what known as a "crosby rig" for main sheeting at the end of the boom. Google it.

Boom vang goes from bottom of mast to boom usually at about a 45 deg angle. The hook ups should be fairly obvious if it was actually rigged for a vang.

A traveler is a significant piece of hardware, I think you would know if you had one or not.
With the crosby rig, I would hazard a guess that you don't.

Rigging of small sloops/cutters is fairly standard in set up across boats, you don't need a MAC instruction to determine how it should work. Look at other similiar sized boats.

Pictures of your boat and the items that you are concerned about would be a great help to us helping you.

Go sailing.

Jun 9, 2019
MacGregor Venture 23 Boston
Thanks -- we rigged it as described but it was bad weather so couldn't try it out. Fingers crossed for this Sunday better weather!

Aug 24, 2020
MacGregor 23 Mahone Bay
Hi, do you know how the Venture 23 was originally rigged for reefing? I can't find any information on it. Thanks.

Jan 22, 2008
Montgomery 17, Venture of Newport, Mirror sailing dinghy, El Toro sailing dinghy Mound, MN -- Lake Minnetonka
Ventures came from the factory with a rudimentary roller reefing boom. The boom rotated on the mast, rolling the sail around it. This was very unsatisfactory for a number of reasons:

1. It takes at least two people, one to roll the boom, one to tend the halyard, and one to pull the sail fabric aft so it doesn’t all bunch up at the mast. Difficult to do when it’s blowing hard, which is when you need to reef.
2. The more the sail is rolled up, the baggier the exposed sail becomes. This is the opposite of what you want. You want the sail to be flatter. A baggy sail will cause the boat to heel more.
3. A roller reefing boom has to be kept smooth to avoid damaging the sail as it is rolled up. This makes adding a boom vang problematic, not to mention other hardware.

Most Venture owners have long since converted to conventional slab or “jiffy” reefing. This involves replacing the mainsail with one with one or two sets of reef points. (You could have a sailmaker add reef grommets to the original sail but, come on, that’s got to be about 40 years old! )

There are plenty of sources that describe how to set up a basic slab reefing system. On Chiquita I added a cheek block near the aft end of the boom on one side and an eye strap on the other. The clew reefing line started at the eye strap, went up through the reef grommet and back down to the cheek block. These were positioned so that the pull was both down and aft. I could have just brought the tail of this line forward along the boom to a clam cleat but I chose to run it inside the boom to a turning block at the mast, down to the base, and back to the cockpit.
There are also a number of ways to deal with the tack reef grommet. Most owners install a hook or “horn” (or a pair of them for two reefs) at the gooseneck. I chose to use a 4:1 Cunningham tackle with the tail led back to a cam cleat in the cockpit. The top block of the tackle is attached to a Cunningham hook that drops into the Cunningham grommet (for flattening the sail by increasing luff tension) and can be moved to either of the two luff reef grommets as needed when it is time to put in a reef.

FYI, the Yahoo! Group is no longer fully functional. It is still somewhat active via email only. Yahoo no longer hosts files or pictures or archived messages. There are several Facebook Groups to help fill the void:
Venture of Newport Sailboats and Macgregor Venture Classic Sailboats are both helpful.

Henry

Jan 7, 2022
MacGregor Venture 24 Phoenix
Not sure what you mean about the main sheet. Most older Mac's use what known as a "crosby rig" for main sheeting at the end of the boom. Google it.

Boom vang goes from bottom of mast to boom usually at about a 45 deg angle. The hook ups should be fairly obvious if it was actually rigged for a vang.

A traveler is a significant piece of hardware, I think you would know if you had one or not.
With the crosby rig, I would hazard a guess that you don't.

Rigging of small sloops/cutters is fairly standard in set up across boats, you don't need a MAC instruction to determine how it should work. Look at other similiar sized boats.

Pictures of your boat and the items that you are concerned about would be a great help to us helping you.

Go sailing.