Venture 22 Rescue Project

Jun 17, 2020
Venture 222 93333 Grand Isle, VT
I got a fair amount of work in today- sanded a bunch more old mildewy paint in the v-berth, I think I passed a point of no return when I pulled the windows off. Now i really have to pick up speed with the paint project. They definitely weren't sealed very well, I'm sure they were at least one entry point for rainwater.

I took a couple pictures of my pop top in the up position, because I added the gas springs it doesn't go quite as high so I'll have to trim the supports (2nd picture) a little bit to make them fit properly. They don't get to the bolt holes, so definitely not safe to use underway, but I think reasonably safe on the trailer in the driveway the way I have them wedged in.

Attachments

Mar 15, 2021
Macgregor Venture 22 Brooklyn
So I got the fuel line made up today. 3/8 for part of the run and 1/4 for the rest. My "surplus" tank and my Honda 7.5 wanted different size fuel lines. Thank goodness for fuel filters with multi size nipples!

Ran the outboard for a good 20 minutes at the dock in both forward and reverse. Seems to run well, so should make the couple of miles to my haul out location with no problems.

I was also able to get the centerboard to raise and lower a couple of times, so I know that is in order. Now if I can just drop the mast so I can run new halyards she will be in nasty, but seaworthy condition.

I have read the manual on mast operations, but I am unclear on the side stays. Should I losen them before I attempt to tip the mast aft? It seems the mast will not lift up to tilt back with the side stays at operational tightness.

Even though it has rained hard a few days since I last visited Bottoms Up there was far less water inside the cabin than on my previous visits. I suspect that means some of my leak mitigation is working. It seems most of the water this time was from the hatch being left part way open by the previous owner. It seems he dropped some cushions inside that I had overlooked in the boat house. Sadly he failed to pull the hatch all the way closed, so I had some pumping to do.

I seem to have found another water ingress point. The bow combination light was not sealed at all. I discovered this when I opened it up to figure out why I have no forward running lights. Sadly that is still a mystery, but once I have it sorted you can bet the light is getting sealed. It looks like the light leak was one of two reasons the vberth is destroyed.

The interior has pealing white paint all over, and under that seems to be an off white or light yellow. I am trying to figure out if this is original, and what to do about it.
Obviously it ALL has to go before I do anything. My thought at this point is to repaint the interior with epoxy.

Some of the glassed in wood that runs athwartships is rotten. The only thing I can think to do with it is dry it out, hit it with penetrating epoxy, then sister it. My other choice of course is to cut it out and use it to trace new bulkheads. Thoughts and suggestions are welcomed.

Pretty much the only piece of wood not rotten at all is the mast support! Thank goodness for small things.

Since I am broke and need to restore this boat on the cheap I am thinking of using wood from pallets for the quarter berth, table and the seats. Yes it will add some weight compared to the 1/2 inch ply, but I expect it will hold up and since I have a free source of pallets it should be cheap. I will have to purchase some glue and screws, but that is cheaper than exterior grade plywood!

I also took some photos of the interior. Sadly they are too big to upload. I will shrink them and upload them later. The interior is nasty!

Nov 30, 2020
Macgregor 22 Dania, FL
Our Mac 22 rig comes loose as soon as you release the forestay. With the mast up but no sails, there is quite a bit of tension on the forestay and the shrouds, less on the standing backstay.
Chip V.
s/v Sand Dollar

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have read the manual on mast operations, but I am unclear on the side stays. Should I losen them before I attempt to tip the mast aft? It seems the mast will not lift up to tilt back with the side stays at operational tightness.
As @chip veres said, you only need to disconnect the forestay. On my V22, I made a mast crutch that was simply a 2x4 with a cutout for the mast made of plywood screwed at the top. The crutch had pintles that would fit into the same geudeouns as the rudder and when trailering the mast would ride on the bow pulpit and also in the crutch. I stapled some old carpet into the plywood cutout so the mast would not get scratched. See diagram and photo... Unfortunately, I don't have a good shot of the crutch but you can just make it out in the photo.
2011-wax1.jpg
1617647324278.png

When raising the mast, I'd pin the base in the tabernackle and then facing aft, I'd stand on the companionway hatch strateling the mast, reach down between my legs and grab the mast and deadlift it up as I backed my way to the bow. If I had help, the helper would have the forestay. If by myself, I held the forestay in my mouth as I backed to the bow.

Mar 15, 2021
Macgregor Venture 22 Brooklyn
Thanks guys! Very helpful on the mast. There is a fellow with a M26 on a trailer about a mile from Bottoms Up. I stopped and spoke to him yesterday as he was painting his bottom in his front yard.

He showed me where he attached a hoop to the mast as high as he could reach from the deck to allow him to use a line to winch the mast up and down. I think that is my next step. While the mast may be light enough to dead lift I am more worried about it getting away from me on the way down, dropping an being damaged.

So next trip down a 3 inch hoop will go on the front of the mast as high as I can reach and I will rig a block and tackle to the forward cleat, which I just rebacked, rebeaded, and rebolted. It was a source of water ingress and it's backing plate was GONE.