Variable speed water pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 310 C310 Seattle Wa
I’m going to go for it, and buy one of the variable speed water pumps for the fresh water system. I wonder if any others have installed one of these? They have a smart sensor that allows the pump to run only at a fast enough speed to meet the demand, depending on how far the faucets are opened. I saw one demonstrated at a boat show, and it was almost inaudible. I had to put my ear right next to it to hear it running. It also has no pulsing, since it doesn’t cycle on and off with the water running. They also claim it uses less amperage at slow speed compared with older style pumps. The original Shurflo pump on my C310 is 2.8 gpm. I’m curious what the late model C310’s are equipped with? I think I’m going to get the Jabsco Sensor Max 14, which is their smallest model at 3.7 gpm and 25 psi. They have three other models, up to 7.5 gpm. The Shurflo Smart Sensor also looks good, but at 5.7 gpm and 65 psi, I’m thinking it might be overkill. It’s also more expensive. The only downside seems to be the cost. I can get the Jabsco for about $180. I did see one online retailer selling the Shurflo for the same price, but I worry what 65 psi will do to my plumbing.

G

Gary M.

Jon, Sounds like it would be a nice upgrade. My 2003 C310 came stock with the ShurFlo 2088-723-244 pump which is rated the same as yours at 2.8 GPM. Let us know how it works out! Happy Sailing, Gary C310 #230

MarkZ

Nov 5, 2005
Hunter 49 Green Turtle Bay: Ky
Jon, I'm anxious to hear how well these pumps work. Please let us know what you think after you install and use the pump. Mark C310 #211

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Bought it today

I got the Jabsco Sensor Max 14. I will install it tomorrow or Saturday. I'm anxious to see how much effective water pressure I get compared to the old pump. The original Shurflow pump supposedly shuts off at 45 psi. I've seen conflicting info on this new pump. The label on the box says 35 psi. The Jabsco website says 25 psi. The next step up, which I didn’t choose, (Sensor Max 17) claims 40 psi on the box. This new pump has a different pressure control scheme, so I’ll just have to test it out. I’m not looking for a whole lot of pressure, even though that stern shower has been pretty feeble. I don’t want to spring a leak in the hose connections, or use excessive amounts of water. It is only a 35-gallon tank. I’ll be satisfied if the pressure is the same or a little better. I don't think I'll have any problem with the flow rate of 3.7 gpm, up from 2.8 gpm. I only use one faucet at a time, and was happy with the amount of flow from the original pump. I did run across some information about the Shurflo Smart Sensor pump. There were some comments from someone with this pump who was disappointed with the amount of noise in this particular, supposedly quiet, pump. Another reason to get the Jabsco? I’ll let you know in a day or two if the changeover is worth it. My goal is to have a water flow experience closer to what I have at home, steady and quiet.

Dec 30, 2005
- - Nassau Bay, TX
Waiting to hear your results

I've been looking into water pump issues also. It will be good to know what you find out.

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Original pump

Gary, My 2000' C310. #40 came with the same pump ShurFlo 2088-723-244

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
The jury is in.

I installed the new pump today. I used one of the old mounting holes, and drilled three new shallow holes. I had to buy an additional one-inch screw and washer. I cut the old wires, and used two 10-12 gauge butt connectors to connect the new wires. The pump came with a new filter, but I could have used the old one. It also came with a variety of hose fittings that worked out well. I filled the freshwater tank, and tested the new pump. I’d rate it as a qualified success. My expectations were very high. Probably unreasonably so. Turning on the water pressure switch at the electrical panel with the system depressurized, you can definitely hear it running at full speed for about 5 seconds to build pressure. It doesn’t start running immediately, but has about a one-second delay. Running at full speed during pressure building, it may be just slightly quieter than the stock pump. I was surprised at the sound, but after all, it is just a pump. The good part comes when running some water. With one faucet on fully, I could just barely hear the sound of the pump running at slow speed if I concentrated. What sound there was, was almost entirely masked by the sound of the water running into the sink. You wouldn’t notice the pump noise unless you really listened for it. Instead of the THRUTHTHTHTHMP-------- THRUTHTHTHTHMP ------- THRUTHTHTHTHMP --------- THRUTHTHTHTHMP of the original pump as it cycled, there was an almost inaudible steady prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr as the new pump ran at about 1/4 speed. With both spigots open, the pump noise was only slightly easier to detect. The pump doesn’t start and stop abruptly at all. It’s difficult to hear it start or stop in normal operation. The maximum water pressure of the new pump seems like it might be slightly less than the original. But the original pump pulsed, so it probably averages out the same. I still got good flow with both sink faucets and the shower going at the same time. I think this pump is a good match for the C310. A high-pressure fire hose type of stream would be nice for a shower, but I’d probably empty the tank in less than 5 minutes. I wish I had the opportunity to try the other higher-pressure pumps just for comparison, like the Shurflo Smart Sensor, and the other Jabsco’s. But I really think the Jabsco Sensor Max 14 is a best fit for this boat both functionally and economically. This upgrade gives me a more refined, and less obtrusive water pressure solution. I think it was definitely worth the money, and the modest time and effort involved. The installation was actually on the easy side.

MarkZ

Nov 5, 2005
Hunter 49 Green Turtle Bay: Ky
The verdict

Jon, Thanks for the detailed response. It sounds like a nice upgrade. When I mentioned it to my wife, though, she said that she likes the noisey pump. She likes it as an auditory warning when our kids (ages 3 & 5) are using too much water. I guess that is reasonable. Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.