V222-Question about pop top mod

Jun 17, 2020
Venture 222 93333 Grand Isle, VT
Hi all,

Longtime lurker, first-time poster. A couple years ago, I purchased a 1972 Venture 222. It sailed, but had a fair amount of...shall we say...deferred maintenance. PO, a very nice guy, had a philosophy of "I could fix it, but I'd rather go sailing". Strictly speaking, it was functional, and the bones were mostly solid. I have viewed it as an opportunity to really get to know the boat, and invest in improving my repair skills. Over the last couple of years I've replaced the trailer, sent my grimy sails off to SailCare (they do STUNNING work), trying to chase down leaks, lots of sanding and fairing...the list goes on. Now with COVID going on, it's stuck in my driveway, so I've shifted into project mode.

I saw all the posts about the gas strut mod for the pop top. Went on Amazon, bought some brackets and a pair of 20" 80-lb lift gas springs. After drilling a few holes in the wrong place, I'm stumped-where can you actually locate the springs so that they can open fully, and still let the pop top close without getting in the way? I've seen information for other models, but it looks like their pop tops open in the opposite direction. Does anyone have specifics for a 222?

Attachments

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
You are right in that the 222's pop top opens to the rear and others like the 26 S&D open to the front/mast. The 222 pop top is bigger & heavier too.

Jun 17, 2020
Well, in a way I'm glad there isn't a heavier version of the pop top out there, the thing weighs so much I pretty much never use it. Mostly I've just had to raise it to work on the handrails. I guess I was hoping to end up with a setup where I didn't have to use the 6(!) bolts to keep it closed, I'm trying to minimize the possibilities for rainwater to get in. When I kept it on the trailer at the marina for the last couple years, I would have to drive an hour each way to bail it out every time it rained. I recently re-bedded the handrails, added some sealant around the chainplates, and have been applying some Capt Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure around the windows to hopefully keep things dry inside. Fingers crossed.

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
There's a guy on YouTube with a 26s or d and put the gas struts on by connecting them to each of the sort of vertical part of the "U" shaped raising frame of the poptop. I can't see why it wouldn't work doing the same way, shouldn't matter that they go to the front vs the back.

Jun 17, 2020
Appreciate it, I had seen that earlier, and is probably going to end up being the way to go. For some reason, I'm a little more hesitant to drill into the aluminum, but probably mostly because I'll need a new drill bit. Thanks and happy sailing!

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
I think I might do the same for mine too, anything to make life a little easier and the boat more enjoyable.

Jun 17, 2020
UPDATE: With the power of oafishness, I was able to find a spot to at least get them installed. How effective they'll actually be is TBD because I'm short a machine screw to complete the installation on both sides, but at least I know they can open and close and not be in the way. Also, drilling through metal tubing sucks.

Attachments

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
They look good. I'm sure that's a pretty hard stainless steel so yeah I'm sure that wasn't easy to drill through, especially on the round like that too.

Jun 17, 2020
Installation complete! Only broke 2 drill bits in the process. Gave it a test run, it still needs the struts to keep it in the fully raised position, but the lift springs do make a big difference-it's a simple push to raise it, instead of the red-faced neck/shoulder/back straining misery it was before. Next project is to finish replacing the bow eye/rotten backing block, and then maybe repaint the interior? Thanks for the support.