V-berth hatch replacement

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Contemplating the replacement of the solid glass v-berth hatch on our 1986 C-34. Have any of you conquered this task ? If so, would you mind sharing the details?

I see two possible ways forward. First, a complete new hatch that drops into the existing opening and second to seal the existing hatch in place and mount a slightly smaller hatch over it.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Rick

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
Hi Rick,

What's motivating the project? Is the hatch leaking, cracked frame, crazed lens, etc.? The answer may impact the responses.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Hi Rick,

What's motivating the project? Is the hatch leaking, cracked frame, crazed lens, etc.? The answer may impact the responses.
Couple of reasons. Started when one of the strap hinges failed and exact replacement are no longer available. Added daylight into the v-berth would always be welcome. And the current hatch dawgs are a PIA.

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
Have you already contacted Tony at Select Plastics? I received new dogs when we replaced our lenses. Not sure about the hinges, but I believe he keeps a stash of 'unadvertised' hardware on site (either from previous repairs or bulk custom orders).

Looks like the website is getting some updates but I found him to be responsive by email and phone and generous with his time. No affiliation, just a good experience.

Marine Hatch Repair - Select Plastics