Upwind troubles

MccNeo

May 11, 2014
MacGregor 26S Evans
Invest $90 in a Loos gauge and set the upper shroud tension to about 15% breaking strength for the size wire and the lowers a little less about 10%. Be sure the mast is 1) straight and 2) perpendicular to the deck from port to starboard and forward and aft before you begin. If you wish, you can give the mast about a 2 or 3 degree rake aft to help point. Equal tension on each side for the upper shrouds and equal tension on the lower shrouds.

Incorrect tension in a good breeze can cause loss off the rig. you need to get it right.

Feb 13, 2016
macgreggor venture 224 ohio river
Give me clarity, loss off rig, loss of rig i hope not, wife and i have our 15th anniversary this weekend, she wants to go full bore to figure out the boats limits, im terrified but agree how far is to far unless you do it. Ive readjusted again so hopefully there good, we'll see and plan to post to you tube Saturday our sails,angle and so on to get a better view of whats going and figure out from there. Our first short video was a few months back of "our first mac224 sail" i believe me and son dark blue/white sail boat

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I don't see it on you tube unless it's the one 3 months old and has no "sailing" involved. can you post a link to the new one?
Congrats on the anniversary BTW!

Feb 13, 2016
Pictures take very long, videoes wow yes 35 sec videoes with outboard dragging and sstill ul to 6mph

MccNeo

May 11, 2014
MacGregor 26S Evans
Give me clarity, loss off rig, loss of rig i hope not, wife and i have our 15th anniversary this weekend, she wants to go full bore to figure out the boats limits, im terrified but agree how far is to far unless you do it. Ive readjusted again so hopefully there good, we'll see and plan to post to you tube Saturday our sails,angle and so on to get a better view of whats going and figure out from there. Our first short video was a few months back of "our first mac224 sail" i believe me and son dark blue/white sail boat
See the forum post "Standing rigging adjustments and tuning".

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Sailnewbie... How many turns of the winch handle does it take to put the keel down on your 224?

Thanks,
Russ

Feb 13, 2016
Since that video and other comments ive moved my jib sheets further out and towards mid ship which has helped alot however im still not quite there in my opinion, my next time out ill make another video with wind direction and all and go from there

May 12, 2010
Macgregor 25 Southern Maryland
Did you ever answer where you go sailing? I used to work at OU and lived on The Plains and in Athens, and I don't remember lakes that I think might accommodate one of our boats (but I wasn't a sailor then). I can certainly imagine it's hard to find other sailors to consult with in that area of the state.

Feb 13, 2016
Yes you are correct, burr oak use to be a sailors lake i hear not big but long but no ideal, next option is ohio river beyond that were traveling 3hrs

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
Since that video and other comments ive moved my jib sheets further out and towards mid ship which has helped alot however im still not quite there in my opinion, my next time out ill make another video with wind direction and all and go from there
If you are within 40 degree range, you are there. 30 degrees is a dream come true to me...