Update to lose rigging post

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
So I did what I was told and after removing the backstay, tightening the jib halyard to the forward chainplate, I removed the forstay and backed off both the starboard inner and outer shrouds. Just for yaks, I went to check the lean on the mast before losening up the port shrouds (starboard shrouds are on 7th hole, port ones on 9th). The danged mast leans even more to starboard!!! WTF???? My wife doesn't see it, and experienced guy at the marina is not sure, but says "maybe" the mast is leaning. No sag on deck, mast is even with the mast gate, the boat is straight in the water. I sighted both along the aft and forward edge of the mast and it is straight, so there is no bend to it. It's almost as if the mast was at an angle starting at the deck. I measured distance with the main halyard, and is seems the same port and starboard, but there is just enough stretch to the line to mask at least a 1/2 inch difference. So here is a question - does it matter? should I even out the shrouds to what they were (7th hole all around)? I noticed the mast lean last season also.
The last thing i will do is to go out and check the slack on the shrouds when under sail. If there is no slack, I will losen up the port shrouds.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Use your main halyard to hoist a piece of string with a weight on the lower end. It will act like a plumbob to see if the base of the mast is below the top.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
Use your main halyard to hoist a piece of string with a weight on the lower end. It will act like a plumbob to see if the base of the mast is below the top.
Duh! I'll do it tomorrow and report!