Un-stepping mast disaster

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I'm with Kloudie. You can fix that without shortening the mast. There is not that much load, if any, on the bolt when the boat is in use. you can either weld a plate to the inside of the mast over the damaged area and re-drill it or, if you want to do it yourself install the new plate with pop rivets and re-drill it. I would have no problem doing that.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
This thread is 4 years old. I hope the OP is already out sailing.

Personally, I'd just cut off an inch and install the $29 kit from Catalina Direct, with everything needed, including longer lag bolts and sealant. That's much quicker and simpler than fabricating a sleeve and pop riveting, for most folks.

And I'd upgrade the mast raising system so that the mast can't sway or rotate, even in a side wind. If you already have the gin pole and mast-raising stays and tackle, you need to add two side stays to the end of the gin pole to prevent any rotation if the mast sways slightly sideways. Anchor the bottom of the pole stays to the same point as the mast-raising stays.

It's the combination of the mast's lateral sway and the mast's axial rotation that breaks mast tabernacles and gin poles. The system is no longer loaded solely in compression; and the misalignment creates a buckling force.

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
Trim the damaged section. Re-bore the holes. Radius all edges. Install the mast step plate. Simple.