TWP...

Mar 3, 2008
Hunter 356 Lake Stockton
I am getting tired of re-varnishing the teak on my stern rail seats every year. What success has anyone had using TWP on exterior teak surfaces?

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I cover my seats. My wife made covers out of sunbrella. The bottom has velcro so they close up nice. Varnish on 5th year and going strong.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
We have cushions on the seats all the time when we are living aboard. When we haul the boat for the summer I remove the 5 screws and store them below. Only had to refinish them once, look good as new now, unfortunately they are rarely seen !
The previous owner used Sunbrella covers, they look to be very easy to make.
Bob

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
I cover my seats. My wife made covers out of sunbrella. The bottom has velcro so they close up nice. Varnish on 5th year and going strong.
There's a classic book called "The Art of Brightwork" and this is what she recommends to do. I have a Sailrite which makes it easy to sew Sunbrella, but you can also use a home machine with a heavy needle and heavy polyester thread.
I'm thinking I may also do the epoxy base coats as Ralph suggested.
Dan

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
I am getting tired of re-varnishing the teak on my stern rail seats every year. What success has anyone had using TWP on exterior teak surfaces?
I've just been letting mine peel and plan to just leave the wood bare when the old varnish finally is gone.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
I have a dingy that had raw mahogany seats. I pressure washed them, let them dry and then used the Sikens cetol product( I used leftover product from refinishing my redwood garage doors. About $100 per gallon). 5 years later the seats have never pealed, and are still looking great. The seats have full sun/weather for 6 months every summer.

2 points, I am very far north, so UV is not that big an issue as it is for others. I am on fresh water.

I am also aware that there is a marine version of cetol. I have not used that product. I just used the stuff I had on the shelf.

I have tried a lot of other solutions, like Polly etc. They all pealed. Cetol has never pealed.

Good luck with what ever you try.

Mar 3, 2008
Hunter 356 Lake Stockton
Thank you, guys and happy holidays. I liked your response, Don. I have used that approach on a number of other issues.