Turning ball

Dec 1, 2018
Catalina 22 NJ , PA
Hello, This is my first time posting a question. I have always been able to answer my questions by searching older posts and have learned a lot reading current posts. My question is what if any lube do you use for the turning ball. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I think I put some kind of anti-corrosion turnbuckle thread lube stuff, from Catalina Direct, on the pin that goes through the ball - but I agree with Gene, I really don't think it's needed. The turning ball and pin are wet every time it's used, and anything there is not likely going to last too long.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Welcome. Always fun to get an ole lurker into "publishing." :):):)

Great boats. from a former C22 owner, 1981 #10496

Enjoy your season.

Apr 11, 2017
What's a turning ball?
It's for the C22 swing keel -- it rolls and guides the keel winch cable around the "turn," that exists where the cable exits the hull, and is angled and attached to the end of the keel.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
It's for the C22 swing keel -- it rolls and guides the keel winch cable around the "turn," that exists where the cable exits the hull, and is angled and attached to the end of the keel.
Sounds complicated...

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Gene's 'da man on all things c22, has saved us all from a lot of mess....just don't route the cable forward over the ball, needs to go aft as in Gene's pic...we've seen others make that error IIRC....

Dec 1, 2018
Catalina 22 NJ , PA
Thanks for all the responses, All of your experience is appreciated. Bottom painted today hoping to launch during the week. Thanks again.

Apr 11, 2017
When seating the ball - it can help to put a loosely tied zip tie around the cable groove of the ball (to hold the ball) - then slide the pin through. Someone else on the forum gave that advice a while back-

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
The turning ball requires some elbow grease every now and then ;)