Tricky reverse gear on Universal 5424

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
In less then a week I'll be visiting a friends 32' Endeavor that has a U 5424 engine with wheel steering.
Last year when I visited the transmission was fairly reluctant to engage in reverse gear as simply moving the shift lever to reverse was often not enough and revving the engine would sometimes help it kick into reverse gear. I'm told that the transmission is still as dodgy or even worse then it was last year. As a guest who does not mind some dirt under his fingernails I'd like to try to help the owner with this problem.

Preliminary research leads me to believe that it is likely a planetary transmission box conveniently located under the cockpit.

Here are the steps I'm thinking of going through to diagnose this problem:
- check linkage from binnacle to the transmission lever, put some oil in shifter wire to ensure smooth operation
- check tranny for proper level of lubricating fluid (ATF or what?)
- inspect brake band to insure that it will open and close freely and easily

Any other suggestions as to what I might check or what could cause this symptom of the tranny not wanting to go into reverse easily?
Needless to say not having a dependable reverse gear could make some docking operations a bit dangerous.

Thanks in advance.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
On the Yanmars

On the Yanmars, there is a fairly critical adjustment, and if off will allow the shifter to go too far or not far enough into either forward or reverse. To much adjustment towards forward gets you little or no reverse. So this is something to add to your list.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA

- check tranny for proper level of lubricating fluid (ATF or what?)
The "correct" or what is of utmost importance...the PO of my boat used generic walmart ATF (was still on the boat) and I had no neutral and slow responding reverse...two changes of ATF and refilling with the correct DEXRON, not III or the new synthetic got my neutral back and real reverse.

Check the owners manual for the correct gear lube and quantity

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It's the transmission

Caleb,

Most likely, on a Universal, it's a HURTH.

They can, as I recall, take EITHER ATF or Dexron (regardless of #, III is newest IIRC).

Have they wintered the boat? If so, they should have filled the transmission with fluid, then drained and refilled to the dipstick mark only when starting up in the spring.

I've never wintered, so just use a turkey baster and tube to remove the old and replace with new. Takes about 8 oz. or so. Mine's a Hurth 50.

Your other ideas are right on. Try the shifter handle right on the engine and see what happens to the parts upstairs on the binnacle, too.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5139.0.html

Stu

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Thanks for the input guys.
I had to read the section of Nigel Caulder's "Boatowner's Mechanical & Electrical Manual" on transmissions to educate myself prior to asking for your input.
The boat I'll be visiting has a rather unusual ownership arrangement with 3 partners sharing the time and expenses. Unfortunately this means that none of them are very hands on in terms of maintaining the engine and instead they pay a mechanic to most of their engine work. I wouldn't be surprised if somehow the tranny fluid has been overlooked for a few years, OTOH their mechanic seems to be pretty conscientious. I'll find out more when I get down to Annapolis.
Stu,
That sounds like a great idea to fill 'er up with ATF for the winter and drain/re-fill in the spring. Nice pic of old, gunky TF on your link. That is what I'm expecting to see unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.