Transporting outboard

kenr74

May 3, 2019
Magregor 26S Oregon
When I bought my 26S the seller said he towed it all over with the Evinrude 9.9 attached. I put it in my truck to get home but now trying to figure out how to move it.

From reading the interwebs it sounds like dragging it around attached to the transom is not a good idea.

How are people moving them? Just throw them in the truck?

I was kind of looking at the post the winch is on and think an outboard with fit there with some work. My truck wouldn't notice the weight. Bad idea?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Ive used a ratchet strap that goes from the stern rail to the cavitation plate and back up to the stern rail to take some strain off of the transom. I'm guessing you're talking about moving your 9.9 to the forward part of the trailer? If so, it would technically help the truck tow a bit better

kenr74

May 3, 2019
Magregor 26S Oregon
Yes, was thinking about mounting on the tongue. It seems really heavy to be hanging off the back.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
In most cases its better to have weight in front of the trailer axle(s). I think your idea would work well. My outboard is only a 4hp Tohatsu so it probably weighs about half of your 9.9

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Gentlemen, an outboard engine has no buoyancy so the weight it applies to the motor mount with the boat in the water or the boat in the trailer is the same. We know that when a boat rises and falls in a wave it imparts acceleration forces that momentarily increase the load on the motor mount. The waves can also apply a twisting motion and currents can amplify the thrust forces of the engine. Anyone who has been out in foul weather knows that the engine can swing wildly. We have gone from propeller 2 feet out of the water to dunking the motor head under the water in around 5-10 seconds. The holes and dips that are found in our roads do not nearly strain the motor mount as much as when the boat is in the water. I have trailered extensively with the engine secured in the motor mount and as anticipated have had no problems. Removing a 4 stroke engine may require draining oil from the crankcase; removing a heavy engine with control cables can be a hassle. Of course you want the load balanced on the trailer with most of the weight ahead of the center of the axle(s).

Last edited:

kenr74

May 3, 2019
Magregor 26S Oregon
Interesting. I'm not sure the trailer can handle the motor hanging off the back though. I can lift the tongue fairy easily when it is attached.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Interesting. I'm not sure the trailer can handle the motor hanging off the back though. I can lift the tongue fairy easily when it is attached.
Not good.

I used to trailer with my Evinrude 15 on the transom. Not anymore.
Makes the trailer too squirrely. Now I put it in the back of the tow vehicle (pain in butt).
I wish to do something like what RussC has done.

AndyVS

Sep 4, 2015
Corsair 31 UC 179 Port Sanilac
My 9.9 Merc is too heavy (100 lbs) to pull off the transom. When towing, I run a strap around motor and retractable motor mount to stern cleats to keep it steady. I do remove the Ruddercraft rudder and tiller and remove everything out of the laz. In the cabin, I move everything with any weight to the v-berth. With everything stowed properly and outboard still on transom, I end up with 300+ lbs of tongue weight and it tows fine.

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
If you have the original Macgregor trailer, then the weight is positioned too far aft and the trailer tends to sway. One way to counter this is to move as much weight forward as possible. For short trips to the local lake, I just left the motor on the transom in the down position and drove slowly. There was more than enough clearance from the ground and this took the strain off of bouncing around. For longer trips on the highway, I would remove the motor and either tie it down on the bow or put it in the back of my SUV. I saw that some owners welded a bracket to mount the motor on the tongue. If you don't want to wrestle the motor on and off the transom, then either moving the trailer axle back a few inches or getting a dual axle trailer is the ultimate solution.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
That is what I had in mind. Made or bought? I hate removing the beast I have but there is no way it is staying on the back without trailer mods. Even then I'm not sure I would trust it bouncing around back there.
I fabricated the mount shown, but the last couple times out I've been using a little 3HP 2 stroke Johnson with the built in fuel tank, just so I can leave it on the transom mount (we trailer sail exclusivly). that works well, due to it's low weight, but does require filling the fuel tank frequently when used for much more than getting in and out of the marina.
I'm looking at the lower unit support that Project_Mayhem showed now however, for use on our larger 4 HP with external 6 gal tank. Nothing is ever perfect just the way it is :biggrin:

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
After trailering our 23 foot sailboat at the end of a season we would find all kinds of stuff on the floor that had stayed in place all season long on shelves even with heeling. The conclusion I drew is that the jarring and shock loads from traveling on the roads is more than bouncing in the waves

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
NO NO NO!! Have never trailered with engine hanging on the aft end. All that bouncing around on the road puts a strain on the hull. Also in the unlikely event you get rearended, your engine could be trashed. I put it in the van and hang it on a bracket in the garage upright.:) Also as to H.P> Have a Honda 7.5 longshaft which is plenty. Will move the boat at hull speed. Once again on a sailboat. Weight, Weight, Weight. I will now get off my soapbox.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I trailer with mine on. It is tied in electrically and is a PIA to remove. I pulled it off every time we trailed for two years. It would add a half hour to set up time at the ramp. I use a ratchet strap from the mount to the stern cleat. Stays put. I have to admit, I installed a torsion axle on the trailer last year. As part of the install I moved the axle back about a foot to increase the tongue weight. We trailer all season long and have never had a problem.